Chapter 8

Zhan POV:

Hearing the students chatter about various topics, I sit in the cafeteria and wait for my friends who don't seem to get here. I don't know what takes Ji Li so long to bring Ziyi. It's been about fifteen minutes since he handed his bag over to me and disappeared. Now I feel bored and listen to others' conversations which seem interesting with the national basketball competition, the missing Chen Zhuoxuan, and the mystery of the red forest. 

My brain halts at the mention of the forest and sticks me to the golden eyes that have been haunting me for quite some time now

My brain halts at the mention of the forest and sticks me to the golden eyes that have been haunting me for quite some time now. However, as I try, I can't get over it. I feel goosebumps on my skin whenever I think about it. But I don't know whether it's from fear or something. My continuing lack of sleep isn't helping things, leaving me always to stick to my rare dream, which is even weirder and more intense.

Weird kaleidoscopes of promises and thoughts buried deep in my subconscious haunt me whenever I feel lonely and think about something. Feeling disturbed, I elbow my head on the table and take a breath, focusing on a girl talk that is in the middle of a story about editing a science magazine. I light up and bring a lot of thoughts into my mind without voicing them out loud because if I do, they will bully me, thinking I'm eavesdropping on their conversation.

I've somehow gotten into an in-depth idea about her project that I don't notice what's going on around me until my friends burst through the door and take a seat on either of my sides. There's no worry about cheerfulness anymore because the ones responsible for it are finally present here. Thankfully, we have time for a little chat before the lunch hour is over.

"Sorry." They both whisper at the same time and laugh at each other.

I slap their hands and stop their laughing when curiosity kills me about their whereabouts. There should be something important if they took their time, even knowing I was waiting for them. I need to know. "What's the matter? What took you so long?" I ask, unwrapping the mushroom dumplings and placing them in the middle to share with them.

Ji Li taps his chopsticks on the table and eagerly picks the mushroom dumplings while giving me a dramatic, sad look. "I was caught by the new principal when I shouted in the hallway to get Ziyi's attention. Unfortunately, he didn't appreciate the noise, so he punished me by glaring for a few minutes. If looks could kill, I would be dead by now."

"New principal?!" I blink, not getting what he's talking about.

He and Ziyi glance at me like they don't understand my language before shouting to get not only my attention but also some of the others. "Don't you know we have a new principal?"

I let myself think, just for a moment, and shake my head. "I don't know." It's not the best answer, but it is an answer. I spent most of the day thinking about the golden-eyed stranger without having any idea why, so I couldn't concentrate on anything. I seem so.. lost, almost.