Chapter 32

Zhan POV:

Time passes by with strange, beautiful moments awaiting. I don't tire, though it grows quite cold. Because it's my future home! I should use to it. I should understand and know everything that belongs here. As Godmother's grace is rooted in this place, it maintains the coldness despite the hotness. The sun would never be allowed to direct its fierce rays here, so the place was only favorable for supernatural night creatures.

I walk around with Yibo, holding hands, and stop when I listen to the distant roar of the waterfall. "I want to go there," I say quietly.

"Are you sure?" He asks, eyebrows raised.

I nod eagerly without hesitation because I love to explore this world on my very first day as much as possible.

He thinks for a moment then takes me between the large two gloomy trees, ducking hanging vines and fallen saplings to reach the little hidden path that he knows weaves upward from this point. In a moment, we're out of sight of the main path altogether, weaving through a dense thicket of berry bushes and brambles that stick to our clothes, and our hair. Thankfully, his clothes changed back to black when he stepped out of the castle, or it would be ruined.

I push veins aside as we go. After a difficult trek through the thorns, the path opens up. "Oh," I breathe, staring out. "Wow!" My eyes close for a moment, and I breathe in the rich scent of sweet briar flowers, this mystery world, and the gloomy scent of trees. I smile, very slightly, and blink my eyes open, admiring the view. The water is blue, flowing delicately from the hills and spreading freely. At the edges, tiny ruby-like lotuses with emerald leaves sparkle and remind me of the other beautiful moment with him.

The buds are blooming, and the fireflies inside sing lullabies while hovering over me. Squealing in excitement, I move to step into the water, but Yibo puts his hand on my waist and shakes his head. If he prevents me from getting in the water, there must be something dangerous he can't share with me now. My eyes shift to the beautiful waterfall and become sad, hoping there will be a next time that I will know about its secrets.

Forcing a smile on my lips, I turn and suggest to at least stay here a bit. We then sit by the white oak tree and watch the water flowing by, running down the hills. It's breathtaking. Bichen appears and rests on my lap like a little child who wants a cuddle with their mom after they have finished playing. Letting out a contented sigh, I lean back against Yibo's chest and stroke Bichen's soft white fur with gentle fingers.

"I must be lucky for having all this," I mutter absentmindedly.

"Mhm." He agrees.

"If this is what true happiness feels like, I wish the time to be halted here," I say softly. A faint little smile on Yibo's lips is unnoticed by me. His golden eyes are soft and look tenderly at me. "This date does not end here, I know. There are still some awaiting surprises out there for me, but at this moment, if I die, I will die as the happiest person in the world." I sigh contently and shut my eyes, not aware of what I'm prodding at.

I startle and blink open my eyes with a questioning sound, hands coming up only to be caught in his grip when the position has reversed, and Bichen disappears with a blue twinkle. A surprised sound leaves me, and I tense, but he pays me no heed. Pinning me to the tree's trunk, he glares at me with pure heat while his fangs draw out. I don't know what I have done to make him this angry. I struggle weakly against him, trying to loosen his grip when it hurts.

"Do not speak of your death." He hisses, scooting closer to me and putting his mouth near my ear. "You're not allowed to die." He thunders.

Even though a shiver crawls along my spine like a bead of sweat, I feel speechless, and my eyes mist over. My heart is racing. I take a breath and stare into those pretty golden orbs. Happy tears drip down my face as my cheeks turn red. My hand reaches out to Yibo's cheek and pulls him closer before putting my lips on his. "I won't dare!" I murmur, pulling away and resting my forehead against his with a bright smile curling on my lips.