Chapter 39

Zhan POV:

Walking under the afternoon's sun gaze, I think about how to mend the bridge between my cousin and I. It'll be difficult but not impossible. It'll take a toll on me, but I will endure it if things go back to normal. I will try hard as much as possible. If I don't, I will give up and return to Chongqing. There's no turnback, but I should let Yibo know before doing this.

Sighing, I enter the house. Immediately flower petals shower over me and halt me in the spot. My eyes widen, well up with tears, when I realize what's going on. I blink the tears away and laugh it off before looking around to gather the decorations and the people surrounding me. Everything is perfect in the red. Neighbors, friends, and college mates cheer me and wish me in union before urging me to freshen up and dress in new clothes.

Smiling softly, I turn to look at my uncle and aunt and mouth them, "Thank you". Fresh tears brim in my eyes, and they shake their head and beckon me to keep the smile. Releasing a sob when trying to laugh, I choose to go upstairs, but my cousin is blocking the way with a worried face and the highlighted board that has written 'sorry' on it. For a moment, there's silence.

Quiet in the house, quiet in the trees outside, even the birds seem to have stopped chirping. The only sound I seem to hear is my own heartbeat, pounding in my chest like a tense drum, tighter and harder. "Forgive me for hurting you." He says at last. "And," He adds, his voice softer now. "Happy birthday, A-Zhan!"

My eyes mist over. My heart feels too full for words, so I cover my eyes. A sob catches in my throat too sharply, but the bitterness I have expected disappears into a gladness so bright it hurts, and somehow, I can only smile. Ahh... What a strange feeling... Perhaps, it might be true that one day of my birthday is for ending all the sorrows and the other for bringing all the happiness.

I put my hands down and stare at him, eyes flooding with tears. I can't tell who moves first, only that we reach out to each other, arms around shoulders, and pull into a hug. We stand still in the quiet eaves of the house, the colorful balloons swaying around us until I feel myself settle as though another piece of my sorrow fades at last, my heart mending slowly together like a puzzle sliding softly into a place.

We pull away with a smile on our faces, and he insists that I should put on new clothes. Nodding at him, I rush upstairs to my room and find a new set of clothes on the bed. I drop my bag at the table and then pick up the clothes, brushing my fingers over it. Fresh tears brim my eyes when my mind reminds the previous birthdays that I have celebrated with my parents but dry off immediately as the cold wind hits my face.

I reach out my cheek and find no tears wetting my hand. Staring at my empty hand in bewilderment, I forget what to do next until a soft knock brings me back to reality. Shaking my head, I answer the door, then take a shower and dress in new clothes. Putting a smile on my lips, I step down the stairs and see a three-tier cake sitting in the living room. Beside it, my uncle's family and friends were waiting for me while chatting happily. 

When they see me, they drag me to the cake and hover over me like the stars surround the moon. As I'm looking around, I see Ziyi standing awkwardly to the side and lowering her head. It seems she also understands me like others but feels guilty approaching me. I sigh and walk over to her, taking her hand in mine. Before she apologizes, I shake my head and give her a small smile, taking her with me.