Chapter 25

Zhan POV:

Even if I'm busy with college matters, I haven't missed looking for Yibo. I might not have realized the reason yet, but I realize how my heart worries for him. It's been two days since he's left with blood dripping from his nose, and after that, I haven't heard about him either in class or at the basketball court. It's like he's disappearing through thin air without leaving evidence.

It hurts

It hurts. I put my hand on my chest and pat it, just when Ji Li walks into the classroom and sits on the empty seat next to me, surprisingly, instead of hiding behind my back and staring at me. Understanding what he's trying to do, I ignore him and stare ahead of me at nothing in particular. Easy. I don't look at him, though he knows his actions have been watched from the corner of my eye.

He doesn't mind, though. He tries to make eye contact. "Hey, Zhan." He says, dragging his seat a little closer to me. "What's going on that head of yours?"

I don't respond, just take my books out and spread them on the table.

He shifts in his seat, turning his body in my direction. "Is it about Wang Yibo?" He then adds. "Do you miss him?"

I glance up at him, almost pleading with my eyes to shut his mouth, before looking away.

"Can't believe you're not going to reply to your best friend." He says and drops his head on the table dramatically.

Just then, teacher Song Jiyang stumbles into the classroom and gets everyone's attention. Ji Li startles and fixes his posture, trying to focus. I'm thankful. At least he will stop disturbing me for a few minutes. There's a lot going on in my head, and I need some peace to shut all of them. He's trying to help me, and I can understand, but sometimes it will get me into trouble because he doesn't mind the consequences.

Shaking my head, I reach for my note and take my pencil, noting what the teacher is saying. My hand wants to do something, but my head doesn't cooperate. Both have a fight. Finally, my head wins and swirls with thoughts again, forcing me to stop listening and start with something on the paper that my mind halts with... It's just the face at first, with intense eyes and a heart-shaped mouth.

Then the eyebrows. Thin and perfectly shaped, a little puckered. I take my time with the slope of a strong, pretty nose. The man on the paper has black hair, and I make sure it looks thick. I think I should focus on the eyes, though. Something is missing. "Your mouth doesn't dare to tell what's bothering you, but your heart reflects it on the paper." I stop, my hand twitches, and the drawing gets almost ruined when I hear Ji Li's comments but still do not realize it.

Ignoring him again, I swallow whatever I'm going to say and continue as if he hasn't said anything. I fix the shaky line on the man's jawline before staring at the drawing. There's still something missing in the eyes. I follow the line of the man's neck and shoulders, which are broad and solid, and work on the shadowing.