Chapter 22

Zhan POV:

Days have passed with trouble, fighting, anger, and hatred among Cheng, Ziyi, and Yibo. Each day it's increasing instead of decreasing. There's nothing wrong with me, but sometimes my friends involve me even if I don't do anything. It's irritating. It's testing my patience. It's giving me heartache. Most importantly, it troubles my mind, which is not good.

"Is it imagination?" Ji Li whispers to me, snapping me out of my thoughts. "Or is Wang Yibo everywhere these days? I didn't think I saw him at all for the first month, and now.." He glances over to the hallway where Yibo is talking with his uncle about something. Their expressions are blank as a new slate, so we can't figure out what's going on.

"He's always looking at you." He adds.

I glare at him for a moment and shove him. "He's not!" I hiss, stepping ahead.

We reach the cafeteria, where he wants to grab coffee before going to the classroom. As he goes inside, I stay out and enjoy the breeze until I see Yao Shuhao and Yang Zi coming on my way. Thankfully, I see them before they see me or... I can't imagine that. Also, I don't want to imagine that. Looking inside to see Ji Li still waiting for his coffee, I decide to hide somewhere until the couple goes away, not wanting to face them.

I walk from the cafeteria to the nearby garden and drop into the grass behind the rose bushes. Not only them, but no one can see me. My eyes glance up at the sky when the sunlight burns my skin. The weather is not good because the sky is cloudless, with the sun hanging high and shining brightly. "Not a single cloud!" I pout and cross my arms over my chest. 

Suddenly, everything is a blur, and I'm feeling dizzy

Suddenly, everything is a blur, and I'm feeling dizzy. My hand reaches up to my head as I begin to lose consciousness. Before I fall over the grass helplessly, a pair of strong arms catch me and hold me against a warm chest. My eyes flutter and find a pair of golden eyes staring at me for a long moment before a slight wrinkle appears on my brow. "Y-Yi.." I open and close my mouth, not sure what to say.

"Stop talking." He growls.

My head is beginning to throb, and I can feel my throat starting to dry up and constrict like a bundle of hay being tied together. There's a squeeze on my shoulder, reminding me of how close we are, so I stay silent, not forgetting to keep my gaze from those serious golden eyes. "We're going to my house!" I can hear the scowl in his voice and have no strength to fight him as he lifts me into his arms.

My face has pressed into his muscular chest, and the sandalwood scent rolls off of him, easing the headache I can feel myself developing. "..Down.." I mumble, burying my face in his shirt to shield me from the sun.

"Your mouth says this, but your heart says otherwise." The rumble in his chest as he speaks makes me even more drowsy only. I hear other students talk about something in the distance, but they all sound so far away and disembodied. All I can focus on is the thumping of his heart in my ear, which feels like a lullaby. Not only putting my weight in his arms but also my trust, I drift into a deep slumber.