Chapter 10

Zhan POV:

Blinking once, the world seems natural again. Blinking twice, everything is in its own place. There's nothing impressive or magical. Frowning, I sit on the bed and brush my fingers over my ear to my neck while thinking about something that I'm not sure about. My eyes glance up at the window and stick there for God knows how long. All around me suddenly goes silent and tries to convey something. Also, try to hide something. What? 

My focus gets distorted when the door cracks open and reveals my cousin

My focus gets distorted when the door cracks open and reveals my cousin. I blink once, twice, thrice, but nothing helps to know what he's up to now.

He gives me a confused look before shaking his head. He then gets inside and takes a seat at the edge of the bed, staring at me carefully like he's trying to figure out something. "What's that look?"

"Which look?" I ask while eyebrows knit in confusion.

He turns me slightly, which is enough for me to look at my reflection in the mirror. "This look!" He confirms. My eyes scan each tiny detail about me, but there are no words to describe out loud because it's speechless, so I look back at him. He reaches out and brushes my hair aside. "Each morning, you seem you don't know in which world you are!"

I open my mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. How could it be when I didn't even figure out what was going on around me?

Realizing my struggle to form words, he shakes his head and pats my cheek. "Don't stress yourself about.." He pauses, and I can understand what he's trying to imply. He thinks I have lost my mind because of my parent's death. It's not true. My charms are lost, but my mind is not. It's the one thing that I'm sure about. He sighs and gets up, rubbing the back of his neck. "..Anything! Get ready soon and come down for breakfast."

I nod, playing with the loose thread on the blanket.

After he exits my room, I palm my face and take a deep breath, keeping all my unnecessary thoughts away. I then vault off the bed and take long strides to the bathroom, where I can freshen up. Hoping the day will go well, I go downstairs once I get ready and then have breakfast with my cousin and his parents. The moment goes happily with a conversation about my study and his sport until Ziyi texts me that she's almost reached here.

Waving a hand at my aunt, I quickly rush out of the house and join Ziyi on the street. I apologize for my cousin's behavior yesterday while walking with her, and then realized Ji Li was missing. I ask about his whereabouts and find he has some family issues. Immediately, the brightness in my face fades away. It means I should handle the classes without him. It will be boring.

At precisely nine, not a second earlier or later, we arrive at the college and go on our separate ways to attend our classes. I take a seat at the front with my head lowered while listening to teacher Song Jiyang's class single-mindedly. For a moment, I swear I can feel someone's gaze upon me, and when I look around to confirm my suspicion I have, indeed, found a couple of golden eyes glaring over me coldly. Or, at least that's how it looks like.