Chapter 27

Zhan POV:

Mind filling with thoughts, I reach home and go directly to my room. The room becomes gloomy, just like my mood with the curtains closed. I drop my bag on the table and slump on the chair, putting my face down into one hand. I recall the moment in the restroom with Yibo, thinking about his suggestion of going out. No. It's not a suggestion that I can refuse. It's an order that I must follow. Wait! Why should I follow his command when it's a mere attraction?

"Attraction?" The word highlights in my mind and torments me. It's no wonder my heart thuds painfully in my chest. No wonder it's hard to breathe around the sudden lump in my throat. I put my hand on my chest and pat my aching heart inside. "Or love?" The thought comes out of nowhere. What am I thinking? I shake my head. I'm not going to think about it. I will not bother with it if I don't think about it.

Making up my mind, I sigh and get up from the chair. I then pick up my clothes and disappear into the bathroom to shower. After done, I enter my room with a white t-shirt and black pants, drying my hair with a towel. I shudder and hold my breath when the cold wind hits my back and sends shivers down my spine. I turn around and find the curtains tugging aside, letting the cold breeze enter. 

My eyebrows crease together in confusion as I walk over to the window and put my hands on the curtains

My eyebrows crease together in confusion as I walk over to the window and put my hands on the curtains. I remembered it was closed before, but now... Did someone come to my room? I lower my head and bite my lip, thinking about it. I don't know when my thought changes and goes to date, but it does, so I shake my head and clear my mind. I should keep myself busy if I don't want unnecessary things to occupy my mind.

I brush my hair away from my eyes and go downstairs to help my aunt into the kitchen. My aunt is surprised, and also happy to have me around. We prepare food while having a sweet conversation and arrange the dining table. All those times, the thought of a date was forced into my mind sometimes, but I successfully drove that away.

I spent time with my uncle, aunt, and cousin until dinner. After that, I escape to my room and throw myself on the bed on my back, closing my eyes. "Let's go on a date." The words keep echoing in my head, preventing me from sleeping peacefully. I blink open my eyes and sit up, holding my head and trying to stop my mind from roaming around. When I realize it's not worth trying if I have feelings for Yibo, I slip off the bed and walk over to the window.

The entire world quiets down at night. All I can hear are the frogs and insects from the nearby lake. The air smells of warm water, warm sand, and stone, and above them, the delicate fragrance of the lotus flowers. I haven't lit any incense, but the natural smell is enough to calm my nerves and pull me to do a stunt of jumping down the window and walking over to the lake.

I sit on the grass without fear because another figure immediately finds a spot beside me. I don't know if it's a coincidence or intentional, but I feel safe with Yibo sitting next to me. I glance at him and admire how handsome he is under the moon. A strange feeling crawls up my spine. I'm not sure whether it's an attraction or a love. Why is it that I, a grown man, can't seem to tell if my heart beating in my throat because he's handsome or if it's because I want to hold his hand?