Chapter 33

Zhan POV:

My eyes blink open as I jerk forward, my throat burning with something. My heart is racing while something nags at the back of my mind. Putting a hand on my chest, I stumble and slip on the ground but immediately grab for an arm to steady myself. Knowing whose it might be, I turn into Yibo's arms and hold him tightly. We stay like this for a while until I realize we are still surrounded by trees and in the red forest.

"Yibo, did we not go on a date?" I ask, pulling away in confusion and looking up to meet his dark brown eyes.

"Ask your heart!" He reaches out and pokes my chest.

I blink, mouth agape, while he observes the emotions playing on my face. Shock, then incomprehension and sorrow. The emotion is followed by a few tears. "Ahh? I-I don't know why I'm crying," I blubber as tears fall more heavily. My heart thumps in my chest. My hand runs over it while my stomach clenches; the fantasy I have just tried to recall feels like a memory, so strong and real that it lingers in my body like a bruise. I could feel it but shamefully did not remember it.

Everything is blurred. It's my fault. Again, I forgot something important that we did together. It hurts more than whatever burning feeling I've been sensing in my veins this whole time. I wipe the tears away, only for them to flow out again. I scrub my face with my sleeve before giving a pathetic smile. "Sorry... I have a poor memory. Anyway, thank you for the date. It felt good at thinking about it." I wipe my nose on my sleeve, hiding the disappointment that I have for myself.

"I think it's time to go home," I mutter, turning to go.

His hand shoots before his mind thinks about other things. He holds onto my wrist to stop me from leaving and tugging on it so I fall into his arms again. "Since I found you and we're together, the daylight is better for me. So how could I dim the light in your face? Let's stroll on the streetlight to your heart's content!"

"Really?" I sniffle, wiping my tear-stained cheeks on my sleeve once more.

He nods and wraps his arm around my waist, leading me out of the red forest. 

We walk on the street in complete silence, enjoying the presence of each other

We walk on the street in complete silence, enjoying the presence of each other. The evening is beautiful, with the rosy colors of the sleepy sun giving place to the soft blue of the falling night. We stop in front of a cake stall and look straight into each other's eyes. Mine is happy, but his having a little trouble. Is something wrong?

I open my mouth to speak, to ask something, but the words are caught in my throat when he brings a piece of cake to my mouth. I look up at him and take a bite from his hand before grabbing his wrist and pushing the remaining cake to his mouth. His eyes gleam weakly, which is odd, before he takes it, biting where I have bit. My face is a bit red, and my chest flutters with an emotion that makes my heart beat faster.

Ignoring the flush of heat that has just made its way up to my cheeks, I ask, nudging him on the elbow. "Are you feeling sick?" It's a silent question, one that I need to lean closer to understand, and so I do. I immediately regret doing it as I feel his warm breath ghosting my face, his scent filling me. I don't realize we are so close, an inch more that I can kiss him.