Chapter 18

Cheng POV:

As I enter the house after a long day, I notice the four walls around me remain stubbornly and frustratingly silent. I'm grateful that my mom doesn't wander around here and there and injure herself in the name of preparing our favorite for dinner, instead sitting calmly on the couch, but at the same time, the silence makes anxiety pulse through my veins. Questions circle fruitlessly around my mind about what I have missed.

"Mom, is something bothering you?" I ask, stepping closer and putting my hand on her shoulder.

She lifts her head to look up at me and gets up. "A-Cheng," She says, her face pale. "It's been 45 minutes since A-Zhan has gone out. I'm scared. It's getting dark outside, but he still hasn't come. Will you look for him and bring him back?"

"What?" I gasp. "Did you try for his phone?"

"I tried, but he left his phone in his room." She lowers her voice.

"That idiot!" I rub my forehead with my fingers and think about what to do. I don't say anything for several seconds. After some time going back and forth with my thoughts, and with not much success, I finally look at my watch to check the time. "I'll bring him back," I promise, though it will be a little tricky. Taking a torchlight from the drawer, I leave the house and call his two idiotic friends to find out whether he's visiting there.

The reply I have got brings a feeling of a pit open in my stomach because he's not there! If not, then where would he be? Shaking my head, I walk on the streets while calling his name, filtering through each face and voice, but he's nowhere to be found. I can't help but scowl at the fact, knowing something is wrong. I should find him soon. 

As I go near the red forest, my feet automatically stop

As I go near the red forest, my feet automatically stop. I don't know why. Should I have to check there? I think for a moment and then shake my head. There's no reason for him to go there. Also, at this hour, only a few people milling about, no one wants to be there before they absolutely have to. I sigh and step forward, planning to check the other street. It's then I spot a familiar figure among the shadow of trees and stop. Is it Zhan?

I feel a little thump in my chest. I need to confirm it. I direct the torchlight toward the shadow while walking over and find it's Zhan. Some of the tension from my earlier seems to have eased, but then I realize something is wrong. Since I've found him, he's motionless. "A-Zhan!!" I shake him and try to bring his consciousness, but he doesn't budge. His eyes seem glassy with tears and stuck somewhere at a distance.

Directing the torchlight toward where his eyesight strikes, I see a lifeless body sprawling on the ground with blood staining from his forehead and lips. A shiver passes through my body. Whether it's from fear or shock, I can't tell. Taking slow steps toward the lifeless body with my mind simmers in a slight panic, I find it's Feng Cong. What happened? From the injuries on his body, I'm sure someone must have killed him. But how? Why?

I find myself unable to do anything but ponder these questions. My eyes shift to Zhan, who doesn't have a plan to get back to normal and explain what has happened. I don't know what to do now. I think for a few moments before pulling my phone out and calling my dad. When I explained the situation to him, he promised me to reach here fast. Until then, I stay in front of Zhan like a protective shield covering his body.