Chapter 1

Zhan POV:

I'm sitting at the window and watching the constant flurry of snow while thinking about my parents. They were everything to me, but I lost them in a terrible accident a couple of days ago. I couldn't even spend the time with their last breath. What an unlucky child am I? By this time, a week before, I had everything. But within a blink of an eye, my life had changed. I didn't expect that. If I did, I would fight with God for their life and get it at whatever costs.

My hands are cold, and so are my toes, but who is here to care for me? No one! I cough and hold my hand out to catch the snowflake. Even if I lost my parents in this weather, I couldn't hate it. Because I feel the flurry of snow is their blessing from heaven. 

The snowflake falls on my palm and brings a small smile to my lips

The snowflake falls on my palm and brings a small smile to my lips. I got their blessings, right? I can hear a melodious song from somewhere that's only echoing in my heart and getting my attention. I turn around and glance at the living room, where my parents are slapping each other in their arms playfully.

'Tian Mimi' by Teresa Teng started to play, and my mom walked up to my dad with a grin. She distracted him from his work and pulled him against her before they were swaying along to the music and beaming into each other's eyes.

"I'm still here. Did you two forget me?" I complained, hiding my grin in my hand.

They smirked at each other and started kissing before continuing to dance. I pouted and dropped my head onto my knees while eyeing them from the corner of my eye. They were so corny. None of my friends' parents were touching each other at this age, but my parents were different. It would bring a pleasant feeling to my heart when...

Tian Mimi ended, but then 'The Moon Represented My Heart' started right after, so my parents continued to slow dance and smiled at me. Not too long after the second song began, they were dancing over to me and pulling me into their embrace. "How could we forget the special thing in our life? Come on, dance with us, ZhanZhan."

I laughed loudly and swayed with them, getting a pleasant feeling in my heart. Sure, it could be a bit embarrassing, but if I was honest with myself, I really wanted what we had ourselves, forever. Forever!!

A tiny drop of tears rolls down my eyes when I feel the snowflake slip through my fingers. I didn't feel good about this. It brings me back to reality, where I can feel pain and frustration now. I turn to look back at my empty hand and realize it's nothing, just like me.

I palm my face with my hands and sob heavily, feeling like I'm trying to hold my life in my hands, but it's slipping through my fingers. It shouldn't have happened. My heart is whimpering at each moment that I'm missing now. I can't hold back from destroying myself because I'm destroyed already.

I put my hands down when I heard a horn sound from outside. My heart thumps in my chest rapidly as I realize what is going to happen now. I'm not ready for this, but I have to do it. I wipe my tears away and look at the door before jumping from the window and walking over to my packed bags.

Heaving a sigh, I grab my bags and look around my home one last time before stepping my foot outside. Now, a lot of snowflakes are pouring on my head, but it doesn't help to calm my sobbing heart. How could it be when I left the only thing my parents had for me?

Nodding at the driver, I get in the car and tip my head back against the headrest to take a rest. It's a difficult time for me. I don't want to leave my hometown and stay with my uncle's family. I can protect myself, but I can't reject their offer because they love me as their own son. And they are the only relations that I have now.

When the car passes the exit of my hometown, the weather seems a bit dry and beautiful. I close my eyes and allow myself the luxury of simply sitting with my eyes closed, not thinking about much of anything, nature's scent tickling my nose and settling me.

Seven hours fly away like the wind with only a low humming of music, and there's no interruption since I left home. But within the blink of an eye, as I reached Shaanxi, the car broke down. The driver apologizes to me and tries to clear the situation, but it takes a lot of time.

Not wanting to stand on the road pathetically, I pay the driver and inform him that I can take care further. I then grab my bags and walk around mindlessly until an old man in his early 50s spots my eye. "Excuse me, is there any shortcut to reach this address?" I'm asking the elder and showing him the address of my uncle's house.

"There is a shortcut from here through the forest, but it's dangerous to go that way!" He says and points to the red forest that is just a few distances away. 

I ignore his warning and take the way through the red forest

I ignore his warning and take the way through the red forest. Like he's told, it has an effect in some dangerous way. But it can't change my mind because I have nothing to lose anymore. A few steps through the forest, the weather gets changed, but nothing harms me other than I can feel someone's presence around me. Maybe it's my imagination.

A few minutes later, I arrived at my uncle's house without getting into any trouble. I grip the bags tightly and cross the threshold hesitantly until my aunt Yu Ziyuan notices and greets me with open arms with no malicious intent, apparently. Tears run down my cheeks immediately at the contact, so I bawl my eyes out. It reminds me of home!