Chapter 30

Zhan POV:

The day everyone has waited finally arrives, with the sun rising higher and warning the students to be ready to be drenched in sweat. The birds chirp constantly, disrupting the peace when I step my foot out of the house early to go to college without waiting for my friends. It's the first time I'm going alone, but I don't feel awkward when I have this familiar feeling of someone watching me. Also, do not fear when I don't feel this is a threat.

When I reached college, I looked for my cousin and Yibo to wish them luck before joining other students to go to the large stadium where the national competition of basketball going to be held. As my cousin gets into my sight when he's talking with his coach, I decide to approach him first, but a familiar hand pulls me aside and traps me against the wall.

I swallow hard and run my eyes leisurely down to their black shoes before raising my head, trying to effect a loving glance at Yibo, only to find him looking at me steadily with his full concentration. It is.. good. I take a deep breath, exhale, and smile. "Best of luck." I lean forward and peck a kiss on his lips.

"I'm satisfied." He says, eyes bright as stars under those perfect-shaped brows. His smile is light and refreshing, like a breeze as if a bright moon in a cloudless sky. He reaches out and adjusts my shirt's collar. "You will be at the stadium for me, not anyone else." His eyes glint in gold as he makes the point clear.

I nod, breath hitch as his thumb swipes across my throat. My eyes slide shut when his head tucks under my neck and presses a featherlight kiss. Soft, slow, but true, solid, and real. An anchor to the here and now. I tense, then give and melt against him when we break apart, head resting on his shoulder. "Impress me. I'll cheer for you!" I murmur, pulling back and beaming at him.

Before he responds, I run away and look for my cousin, instead ending up knocking with Ziyi, who's walking that way, dressed up for the competition, red and gold heart painted on her face. I hold my breath. I'm surprised, mostly shocked. Not revealing my shocked expression, I ask about the whereabouts of my cousin, and if she meets him by chance. From her, I realize he's already left with his group for the stadium. Feeling bad for not being a good cousin to him, I joined the bus with Ziyi and Ji Li to watch the most awaited competition.

When we reach the stadium, it is already starting to crowd with parents, friends, and other students. There's no way that we can stay together when one or two seats are available here and there. Understanding the situation, we decided to make separate seats and get comfortable until the competition ended. I bite my lip and scan the bleachers, finding an empty seat in the middle.

When I'm about to go there, someone grabs me by my wrist and gets my attention. The touch is not familiar, but my heart guesses where this aura belongs. Fluttering my eyes, I turn back and see Yibo's brother Wang Haikuan standing in front of me with a soft smile. Immediately a small smile plays on my lips.

His hand leaves my wrist and pulls behind as he says. "Where are you going? Just sit with me!"

I nod and step forward, moving with him, but then the realization hits me and makes my feet stop moving. Imagining the worst-case scenarios if Ziyi sees me with him startles me as I shiver unknowingly. I have to do something, anything other than worrying and idling. I look up at him, feeling it will be easier to convince him than her. I open my mouth to say something, but he shuts me with his gentle words.

"I know what's bothering you. I'll keep you from trouble. Believe me!" He says sincerely, patting my arm.

I close my eyes and breathe out before sitting next to him. An invisible energy passes through me and creates a shield around me, preventing me from getting visible to human eyes. Not aware of anything, my eyes run over the basketball court, which is filled with players, and search Yibo. When my eyes meet with him, I can see an indescribable feeling in those orbs, which is something new that I haven't witnessed before. 

Smiling, I bring my hand up and show a thumbs up, making a conversation with him through my eyes until he needs to go and stand in his position

Smiling, I bring my hand up and show a thumbs up, making a conversation with him through my eyes until he needs to go and stand in his position. As he passes over, he winks at me and makes me a blossoming camelia. With a light red hue on my cheeks, I look away, hand coming to hide my mouth and part of my cheek, and find Ziyi looking in my direction questioningly while sending daggers to... Yibo's brother over my shoulder. Why? Is it because they are family?

Not wanting to dwell on that overthought, I lower myself in my seat and hide there. Yibo's brother looks at me amusedly, then lowers his head as his shoulders shake in silent laughter. I bring a finger to my lips and shush him before beckoning behind me. His eyes look over my friend's direction, then back at me, not minding her firing gaze. Both brothers are getting on my friends' nerves. One with a cold threatening look. The other with a gentle smiling look. They are something, can't describe.

When the competition begins, I slowly straighten myself and look at Ziyi to know whether her gaze still sticks here. When I make sure she's busy cheering up my cousin, I relax and sit comfortably on the chair. My eyes glance at Yibo, who's shooting hoops like he's born doing so and impressing, not only me but everyone. The way he's handling the ball and putting a goal takes everyone's heart and ties it to his fingertips. 

Looking at him in awe, I clap my hands non-stop while feeling proud inside

Looking at him in awe, I clap my hands non-stop while feeling proud inside. This pride turns into jealousy when young girls beside me jump and cheer him up more than me while praising his handsomeness and talents. My hands stop clapping when my face becomes dull. My heart aches. The sudden roaring of the crowd grabs my attention, letting me know the competition ends with Yibo's goal. Everyone lifts him on their shoulders and cheers him.

I stand up and clap again, tiptoeing to see him when everyone stands up. With the crowd, it's difficult. Not thinking much, I push past the crowd and bump into a solid muscular figure blindly, only for the man to grab me by my waist and hold me up. My apology dies on my lips as I realize who exactly grabbed me. I throw myself into his arms and bury my face into his neck. "You're mine, not anyone else!" I murmur, pressing a kiss there. I didn't even think about the words that I was saying; it just slipped from my mouth. But they are true.

"You're beginning to talk like me. That's good." His mouth twitches. He wraps his arms around me and strokes my hair. "Come on. Let's go on a date!" He pulls me away and grabs my wrist. Before he drags me out, I put a hand on his chest and look him in the eyes before pointing to the basketball trophy. Understanding what I have meant, he drops my hand and joins the group to hold the trophy, showing it high for everyone to see, especially me.

Happy tears well up in my eyes, I clap my hands proudly and admire how great my boyfriend is. Not everyone is lucky to have someone like him. I thank God and my parents for sending him to give meaning to my life. Wanting to hold this precious moment, I take my phone out and click a picture of him with the trophy. When his gaze turns to me, my breath hitches because, in a flash, he's standing in front of me. His arm wraps around my waist while the other holds the trophy between us for a moment before throwing it toward his group like nothing. Next... time for a date with..!