Chapter 34

Zhan POV:

With silent tears streaming down my face in rivulets, I sit unmoving by the window, eyes unfocused and unseeing. My face is eerily blank, and I'm so still that I can be a statue. There is no sign of life in me at all except for my tears. My mind is sticking with the earlier incident. Without Yibo, I'm nothing! He's the best thing that's ever happened to me. No one has ever made me feel more alive. No one has revolutionized my world as he has. No one has ever intrigued me like he has. He's a mystery that I like to unveil every day. But now...

I snap out of my thoughts when my cheek stings, bringing a pain that takes me to reality. Both my dream and reality were shattered. Another fresh tear races down my cheeks as I realize it. My eyes shift to my aunt, who's looking at me with unbelievable horror. "Y-Yibo.."

When she gains a reaction from me, she leaps forward and hugs me. "Thank God!" She holds me tightly in her embrace and places a kiss on my hair. The anxiety is evidenced in her affection. She says sweet nothings to my ear as I've just woken up from a nightmare, trying to comfort me. She then pulls away and wipes the tears off my face.

A cup with lukewarm water has been brought to my lips, and I drain it greedily before looking up at her as she pulls the cup and places it on the bedside table. I'm not one who can share the emotions with others. I keep my thoughts and feelings hidden and to myself. There were very few times I felt the need to express my emotions to anyone. Now it's one of those!

I throw myself in her arms and cry to my heart's content until exhaustion consumes me. I feel weak and useless. As my head touches the pillow, my bleary eyes glance at the window to see the moon that is hidden by dark gray clouds. "Please, Godmother, show mercy on me and bring him back!" I mutter unconsciously before drifting off.

The following morning when I wake up, the last night's events are still fresh in my head and shaking me to the core. I sit on the bed and stare at nothing in particular while tears race down my cheeks. I wished whatever happened last night were just hallucinations. Nothing would happen to Yibo. He must be all right. "Mustn't he?" I clasp my shaky hands together and hold them against my chest, asking to my heart.

When I sense nothing, more tears flow out. I sob, crying pathetically until a thought flashes across my mind. Right! If Yibo is there in college, I will not have to worry. I lift my hand to wipe the tears away and find it is bandaid neatly. Maybe my aunt would clean the wounds and bandages after I slept. I swallow the emotions and wipe the tears with the back of my hand before slipping off the bed.

I get ready quickly, making sure to take all the required things before bursting out of the room. When I reach downstairs, my aunt come up with breakfast and tries to feed me, but I refuse and leave the house. Not having the patience to wait for my friends, I walk on the street, probably running. People look at me weirdly, but I refuse to stop and say something.

Sweat trickling down the side of my face, breathing so fast that it hurts, I finally reach the college. My eyes roam here and there while my hand pats my chest, trying to calm my breath. I then speed up, wandering around the hallways, cafeteria, and basketball court in search of Yibo, but he's nowhere to be found. Why? Tears begin to pool around the edges and fall one by one. Another thought crosses over. What if he's in the class and waits for me there?

I wipe the tears with my sleeve and run to the classroom, stopping at the doorway and looking inside. The teacher and students start to notice, talking to themselves and approaching me, but I don't realize anything, just beginning to cry when Yibo is not inside. I put my hand on my chest and squeezed it while stepping back helplessly before running away. 

To my bad luck, I knocked into Yao Shuhao and his girlfriend, who were messing around with a little group this time

To my bad luck, I knocked into Yao Shuhao and his girlfriend, who were messing around with a little group this time. Their face is brighter when they see me. As usual, they miss no chance to torment me, so they grab me and play with me. "Where are you going this rush?" A shrill laugh brings me back to my senses, and it belongs to Shuhao.

My eyes then lock with Yang Zi's as a small snarl is heard. "Isn't your boyfriend with you?" She laughs obnoxiously.

"It's none of your business!" My voice comes out small and cracked open, but I can't help it, really can't. I try to free my hand from Shuhao's grip while a pitiful whine builds in my throat. "Let me go!"

"Go?" He repeats mockingly. "Then say something. Did your boyfriend disappear, just like my friends, because of your evil power?" He asks, absolutely livid with disgust and rage while tightening his grip on my wrist. His words pierce my heart like needles because it seems somehow true. Tears well up in my eyes and fall. He laughs, and his small group begins to erupt into laughter.

Yang Zi opens her mouth after her laughing dies down a little. "What are you?" She asks coldly. "A werewolf? A demon? A banshee? A vampire? Say something! What are you?" She grabs my elbow and digs her fingernails into my skin.

It hurts, but I'm not crying for this. I'm still crying about the fact of Yibo's disappearance until a hand grabs Yang Zi's wrist and pulls it off my elbow. I turn to the side, the world blurry at the edges, and narrow down to my cousin, who's glaring at the girl and pushing her away.

A fight at school is not something he needs to be doing, especially since it's a girl, so he decides not to move, just keep his harsh glare on her, translating all of his threats as to what will happen once she and her boyfriend overstep. Like a bucket of ice water pouring over them, they were stunned for a moment, then fled away without saying anything.

I thought my cousin was angry with me for dating his enemy, but no, he was just disappointed. I can mend the bridge between us if we talk open-heartedly. I open my mouth to say something, but he holds his hand out and prevents me from talking. Fresh tears brim when he looks up at me disgusted and walks away. Maybe I'm wrong. I run to the garden as fast as I can.

Once there, my extremities give out, and I fall to my knees while my eyes are unable to hold back the tears running down my face. I close my eyes, trembling, breathing so fast I'm almost choking. There is a strange ache in my heart, and my senses long for the mild fragrance of sandalwood. That's when I feel a familiar presence behind me. I turn my head slightly, eyes full of tears, to see the principal who's staring at me with shocked eyes and parting lips as if he has rising words caught in his throat.

I stand up and rush to him, grabbing his hand and looking at him hopefully. "Is Yibo all right?"

He doesn't say anything, just lowers his head and thinks about something. The hesitation in his eyes gives rise to a slight hope, but as time passes, his silence scares me. Whatever little color has been remaining on my face drained at his silence. My hand drops down as I look at him, brokenhearted when last night's incident occupies my head again. Did it mean...

My eyes shut as fresh tears stain my cheeks. Just like Shuhao has said, I'm an evil who is the reason for everyone's disappearance, including Yibo. The other person shouldn't have come into my life. Because of me, he's swallowed by the ground and disappeared like a whirlwind. The principal's next words break me from my thoughts. "He's in seclusion. We have less time to finish everything, so you have to wake him up."

My expression autumn as withering disappears, and it is swiftly replaced with a cheerful expression. It is as if spring has bloomed, and the autumn has long gone. I wipe my tears away and nod at him, a wave of sincerity washing over me. "I will do anything for him!"

He looks me in the eye and doesn't say a word. Instead, he simply smiles and offers me his hand. And I take it. A wave of energy passes between us, letting me know what I need to do before he pulls his hand. With a nod, he walks out, leaving the garden and past, out of sight. He goes out of sight, but his words are not out of mind. It remains still there.. in my heart!