Chapter 20

Zhan POV:

Walking on the street with my friends always brings peace to my heart, so I've left the college without my cousin, who has stayed up late to practice basketball. It's our usual routine so there's nothing new, but after I witnessed Cong's death, my aunt became more concerned over me. Without my cousin, she doesn't want me to wander around. If he isn't available, I can join my friends. So here I am. 

I glance up at the sky and notice the white, fluffy clouds change into gray, low ones

I glance up at the sky and notice the white, fluffy clouds change into gray, low ones. Seems like it might rain. I take a small breath. I should reach home fast before the rain pours because I haven't brought an umbrella. Also, I don't want to get sick and rest at home again, which will bring unwanted attention. "Are you coming to tonight's festival?" A voice interrupts my thoughts, and I snap around to see Ji Li looking at me.

My face becomes gloomy as I think about it. I shake my head.

"Why?" He skips ahead a step so he walks side by side with me. "There will be beautiful and colorful lanterns, delicious food dishes, lion dances, and fireworks. It'll be fun." He tries to convince me. When I don't budge, he leans against my side and whispers in my ear, making sure Ziyi hasn't heard it. "If you want, you can invite Wang Yibo."

My steps stutter to a halt, and my eyes widen. I want to say something, but I can't open my mouth to speak. I'm absolutely frozen in surprise. I glare at Ji Li and resume walking. The reason for this kind of thought popped into his head was, he caught me with Yibo holding my hand in the hallway. I can understand, but he shouldn't bring him to everything from now on. Thankfully, my destination is coming up ahead.

When I reach the house, I wave a hand at them and say goodbye before getting in. The atmosphere is a little noisy as usual. It brings a small smile to my lips. As I'm about to put my foot on the stairs, my aunt calls me from the kitchen. I step back and think about the reason before going toward her to figure it out. When I enter the kitchen, I see her pinching the dumpling and setting it next to the others.

"A-Zhan," She looks at me over her shoulder and gives a smile before tucking the dumpling carefully under the small towel to pick up the next wrapper and begin to fill it. "There's a festival in the next town. Would you like to go?" She asks while doing her work, making sure not to squish the dumpling in her hand into shapeless pulp.

I bite my lip and shake my head even if she can't see me. It's not enough, so I decide to come up with something when she turns to wait for my answer. "No, aunt. I have some college work to finish, which I need to submit tomorrow." I lie and turn to leave, but she catches hold of my shoulder, drawing me back. I jerk my head to look over, and it takes a moment for me to turn to face her.

"A-Zhan, where is your rosary?" She asks, grabbing my hand and glancing up at me.

"Hmm, I put it in my bag when friends teased me. So nothing to worry about." I laugh it off and rub the back of my neck while seeing her face. I can tell from her expression that she senses something to be off. Instead of letting myself be interrogated, I give up my chance to escape from the kitchen.