Chapter 45

Zhan POV:

My head tosses here and there, a bead of sweat rolling down my neck as my hands grip the bedsheets when a blurry figure in black kneels on the floor, breathing labored, body trembling, haunts my dream. Their heart calling out my name in agony, so I attempt to reach out for them and find nothing but air when I lift my hand. An illusion, then. Delirious, I look around, putting my hand on my chest, when I hear my name being called again, louder this time.

Now the illusion persists whenever I can peel open my eyes. My eyelids feel like they weigh a thousand pounds, the effort of moving them too great for my diminishing strength. But whenever I manage to open them, the blurry figure in black keeps coming into the front of my head. Suddenly, I force myself to break free from the slumber and sit up abruptly, hand curling around empty air, chest heaving heavily as the only name plays in my mouth. "Yibo!"

I throw the blanket away and get up from the bed, hand putting on my chest. My heart is beating heavily, and I can almost hear its sound in my ears. Without realizing it, my legs drag me to the door, but a roll of paper falls off from somewhere and lands on my feet. Hesitantly, I pick up the paper and unroll it to see a picture of two young men, one in totally black, walking on the street and the other watching his back in awe...

Wait! I bring the drawing close to my face and run my fingers over it, feeling familiar. I like to know where it has come from. It feels important. I trouble my head to the core and finally figure out the picture has been drawn by me. It was from the other day when I was sitting on a small cliff near the basketball court. Wait! Did it mean...

I shut my eyes and recalled that moment when I fell from the cliff and was saved by a mysterious golden-eyed stranger. "Golden eyes!" I have no idea why or how, but I don't dream at all. Curiously unfurling some things, I let myself indulge, not attempting to let go as I unconsciously walk toward the staircase. Does it mean the man that I have dreamt of is Yibo?

My thoughts fly out the window when the most heartwrenching scene I don't even want to see in my dreams occurs. I freeze, letting the roll of paper slip down my fingers. Fat tears drip down my face. "Y-Yibo!" I shout, rushing down. My foot slips out from under me, and then I fall and watch as the polished wood floor grows closer, and a warm chest catches me as I stumble into a kneel.

Undeterred by a simple fall, I throw my arms around him and bury my head into the crook of his neck, breathing in the scent of sandalwood and blood, feeling the trembling limbs under my hands. My hands begin to tremble as I pull away. I have never seen him looking this pale. My mind races with endless bad thoughts as tears flow down. My head becomes fuzzy by seeing the blood, but I try hard not to fade out because he needs me. And the true feelings that I hold for the man in my arms don't let me down easily.

"W-What.. happened?" Droplets of tears roll off my cheeks as I wipe the blood off his nose. My eyes become blurry, but I shake it off, kneeling as my heart twists in pain. I have never wanted him to end up in this state. I can't bear to see such a weak Yibo in my arms, getting paler with every second. Fear of losing him, I wind my arms around his neck and feel the warmth of his body.

"I'm... s-sorry.." Words he never wants to say now pour out with deep regret. He tilts my head slightly to the side and angles his mouth near my neck. He can't help but softly kiss my neck at first and feels me tremble against him. Or maybe it's him who's trembling because I'm not still in the mind to realize anything. We probably both are.

His fangs elongate, his eyes shift from dark brown to molten gold, and his tongue licks a long trail against my neck. Then he opens his mouth wide and bites. My body freezes, fresh tears trickling down my face, realizing what's happening. He holds me tighter, not having the strength to see the betrayed look on my face as he sucks the blood. Everything is falling apart, and I'm trying to wrap my head around the things that are happening, but I'm sinking into a deep black hole.

Cheng POV:

The car pulls into the parking lot, a dimly light underground establishment filled with nondescript vehicles that can belong to any one of a thousand people. Yet, in this case, they belong to individuals whose names have been known across the town. The small fact gives me a certain sense of amusement. After circling a few times, I finally come across an unoccupied space, something that is, thankfully tucked toward the back.

Sighing, I step out of the car with my bags and walk to the dorm room that my coach has recommended while watching the leaves of golden orange and brown drift deep upon the waiting ground, anticipating a change around. The crisper breezes fill the sky, making me uncomfortable and clamping my muscles. I'm exhausted, so I think it'll be good if I visit the trainer later, probably this evening. 

My phone chimes in, distracting me from my thoughts and alerting me that I have received an email

My phone chimes in, distracting me from my thoughts and alerting me that I have received an email. I set different ringtones for each social media account so I could easily figure it out. With heavy bags in my hands, I can't check whether it's important so I keep walking. I look around the surroundings and take everything in, probably, will probably be useful if I need anything.

As soon as I reach the dorm, I unlock the door and rush in, putting the bags down. I groan loudly and flop down on the large, cream-colored sofa, face buried in one of the plush cushions, back gently rising and falling. Because of tiredness, I doze off within a matter of seconds. The temperature in the room is soothing and comfortable, so I sleep for a few hours than I originally planned.

When I wake up, I yawn and stretch my limbs to relieve the tension before leaving the room and making it to the nearby restaurant to fill my stomach. After that, I call my parents and speak with them so there's no reason for them to worry about me. After all, I'm only three hours away from home. I shake my head and run my fingers through my hair. I return to the dorm and pack up some things, getting ready to meet the trainer when Ziyi texts me to check the email.

I reply with a quick text promising to see later and then go to the trainer, ignoring her repeated texts and calls. The meeting with the trainer seems to crawl by at a snail's pace, and I can't even lose myself in my thoughts, my mind constantly wandering somewhere when a strange sense runs through my body because of Ziyi's irrelevant impatience. I know I'm anxious over something so pointless when I have more important matters to tend to, but I can't help.

After the meeting, I expressed my gratitude and left for the dorm, not interested in getting involved in any of the other matters. I flop down on the bed, tossing and turning that I feel is much too big for just myself, and find myself alone. Sighing, I work through my phone and check my social media accounts. It's getting dark already. "Oh, God! Here, she's again!" I groan, looking over her text.

Calming down, I sit and lean against the headboard to check the email. There's a video attached that brought my curiosity, so I clicked to open the file and watch it, preparing for many things but not what I actually ended up seeing. The phone slips from my hand and falls, letting out the muffled noises that had been shut down the other night completely. I freeze, hands still in the empty air in the cold.