Chapter 13

Zhan POV:

Holding the torchlight, I walk into the red forest in the cold, moonless light. Based on the address in the invitation, Wang Yibo's house must be in the middle. It's strange. Everyone said this forest was dangerous and mysterious, but someone built their house here and lived without caring about the dangerous creatures lurking in the dark.

The wind grips hold of my hair when I probably take ten feet forward, whipping it into my eyes and ears. I can't focus on anything, so I stumble slightly. If this continues, I will probably hurt myself. Can't handle it anymore, I clutch the nearby tree with one hand and wait for the wind to calm down. When it seems to slow down as I have wished, I move forward carefully until I hear a wolf howling from a long distance to break the silence of the night. Terror is rushing through my veins, making me feel sick. Because it's a bad omen!

I know I should return home if I want my life, but my cousin can't attend the party without the invitation. What should I do now? Whether to turn around or move forward! The question strikes in my mind without having an answer for a long moment, so I don't realize several yellow lights glowing in the dark until all come closer. My breath hitches in my throat when I realize what's all this.

I could smell it as soon as I woke up that this was going to be a bad day. Not that it would take a psychic to guess that. It's already been a terrible week. I felt drained, unfocused, and spiraling. Not to mention that I'm acting like possessed as well. It gives me a hint that death will knock at my door one day, but I don't think this soon.

Several wolves surround me with fire-erupting eyes and saliva-dripping mouths, bringing a dark aura. Everything screams death. Dread curls itself around my lungs, making it hard to breathe. I tremble and step back, hands wrapped tightly around torchlight and invitation. I don't think I can escape, but I can try. When the wolves feel their prey is trying to escape, they growl and move to attack me. My eyes widen as they all jump over me at the same time.

"Aa-aah!" I scream and throw the torchlight at them before running for my life.

There is no moon, and the stars are hidden behind a thick layer of clouds, so visibility into the forest below is almost null. Between the darkness and the fear, I can barely see enough to avoid running into a tree. The bone-freezing cold is not helping either, or perhaps it is bone-freezing terror. Mindlessly, I run faster, and at last, fall face-first in front of a house that lights up with decorations and langsdorffia flowers. 

Not having time to admire it, I look back with a heart heavy in my chest to see if any wolves follow me

Not having time to admire it, I look back with a heart heavy in my chest to see if any wolves follow me. There seems none, but it doesn't help. I put all my strength to get up when the crimson blood lands on the ground, making me realize the warm blood trickling down my nose. Seeing the blood, my whole body trembles again, and I immediately faint.

I don't know how long I'm out, but I'm sure it's not that long when I feel gentle hands shaking me and pulling me up in their embrace. I blink my foggy eyes, and for a moment, I'm dizzy and may or may not see two Meng Ziyi in front of me. I close my eyes and open them again. My head stops swimming, and I find a pair of soft, downcast brown eyes staring back at me.