Chapter 40

Ziyi POV:

The music is blaring from the speakers, bringing a desire to dance with Cheng. I plead and convince him, at last, dragging him to the middle when Wang Yibo and Zhan occupy, twirling around each other in their own world. I wince and look down at my wrist when Cheng tightens his grip, as his eyes become dull, and his lips turn down like someone has pressed them downward in an unwanted demand.

He still hates him. He might hide this fact from anyone but not from me because I know him like the back of my hand. Everyone thinks he loathes him for stealing his spot, but the fact is not only that, the a fondness for his cousin as well. He wishes Zhan to be with someone better, whom he deserves, and keeps the brightness in his face. He doesn't want him to live with this double-faced asshole who pretends to be good. But no one understands him, so he tries hard to accept everything for his cousin's sake!

When the light goes off, the pressure on my wrist also goes off, proving he's lost his interest in dance. Not wanting to pressure him, I join his mom to help with the guests as the light goes on, and she pulls Wang Yibo and Zhan aside to put red strings on their wrists to fend off the evil eye. I roll my eyes and look away, clutching the tray.

When I look back at them, I think I see something impossible. My breath hitches. The great principal's beloved nephew's eye color shifts from dark brown to gold as he glances around, occasionally trying to hide his face. I tilt my head to confirm the doubt, but he gives me no chance. Something is strange and different, and it raises my curiosity, so as he leaves the house, I put the tray at the nearby table and follow him.

Now I'm standing outside, looking here and there while scratching the back of my neck. Just a second before, I saw Wang Yibo here with my very own eyes, but he disappeared in thin air. How could it be possible? Do my eyes play with me? My thoughts are interrupted when I hear a slight noise, probably from above me. The wheels in my head run as I hide behind a wall and peek at it to know what's going on. 

A thin muscular figure descends the ground abruptly, disturbing the surroundings and making them gloomy

A thin muscular figure descends the ground abruptly, disturbing the surroundings and making them gloomy. There is barely any wind, but the air is cool and light. My eyes are wide in shock as the figure glows pearly white in the moonlight to draw attention with a tiny white bat perched on their shoulder. Their eyes glisten in gold while a pure dangerous smile plays on their lips.

All color leaves my face, making my blood freeze when I realize who they are. A threatening aura occupies the place, sending an unknown fear briefly within me, scorching my insides and choking off my air. I swallow down and try to remain composed, blinking back the fear in my eyes. I stare at Wang Yibo until something alerts me to hide my presence if I want to be alive.

I hide my entire self behind a wall and put a hand on my chest, letting out a shaky exhale. Is it real or imaginary? I am tempted to pinch myself, just to make sure this isn't an incredibly realistic dream. When I feel it, I peek at him again to conclude whether he's a sorcerer or some supernatural night creature. Whatever he is, I'm sure about one thing; he's evil because the sudden vibe expelling from him is not pleasant.