Chapter 42

Ziyi POV:

Wind rattles the windows of my house where I'm alone now. The cold wind gushes irreverently inside, pushing all the stacked papers flying off. The neat and tidy house becomes a mess when papers scatter around like leaves falling from the trees during autumn. Nothing bothers me, though, I'm laying on the couch and loading the previous night's recorded video to get a better view of what has actually happened. If I'm lucky enough, it will give me a hint of who Wang Yibo is!

Carefully, I watch the video and take every tiny detail with my eyes bulging open. I can feel tears burning hot in the back of my eyes, and I stubbornly blink them away, trying to be strong when Yang Zi's cries and muffled pleas haunt me. I lose composure when a piece of paper suddenly flies off and pastes itself on the screen. My hands are strongly trembling, but at least I can still keep hold of the laptop.

Truth be told, I don't like Yang Zi much, but watching this video, I pray that even my enemy should not suffer this death. It's cruel! No! More than that! Giving one hell of a lifetime fear to someone, providing hope of escape at some point, torturing and tormenting before taking their life.

I swipe away a tear that's managed to escape and swat the paper out to see Wang Yibo pulling his head from her neck to reveal who he is. Having the sight of his two fangs drawing out, I startle and shove the laptop away. My hand clutches my chest, breath heaving as I see him lick the excess blood with eyes glistening in gold while dark tendrils surround him. Finally, I can't stop the tears from overflowing.

"So you finally figure out whose life you're prodding at?" A voice echoes in my house, flooding panic to my veins and making me stun in place.

I open my mouth as if I'm going to say something, but my throat seems to have closed. There's an unnatural shifting in the curtains, and then it smoothens. I swallow hard, feeling a dread consuming me as I see the objects falling at certain places, like my death surrounding me, without giving me a spot to escape. A bead of sweat rolls down my neck as my head turns around and halts with a figure that appears in the center with eyes glistening in gold and dark tendrils spreading vividly and powerfully. 

My legs stand on their own, trembling when death approaches me in the name of Wang Yibo

My legs stand on their own, trembling when death approaches me in the name of Wang Yibo. I shiver, taking shallow breaths and clenching my fingers together. I should be running far away if possible, every cell of my being is crying out for it, but I can't bring myself to do so until I see the smirk playing on his lips. Fear creeps up my spine when the fear for my life overwhelms me.

Unknowingly, a sob wrecks my throat as I stumble, backing away. That is, then, the light flickers. I swallow hard, hand coming up to wipe the saliva from dripping down as I look around in fear, trembling like a dead leaf. The crackling noise coming up from the couch makes my eyes widen when the laptop breaks itself to the point that no remains left, and then its crumbling particles blow away by the wind.

Putting a hand on my chest, I take another step back but bump into a solid muscular thing. My breath hitches as I turn around, eyes meeting with the eerie glowing golden eyes that are leering at me with nothing short of malice.

"D-Don't.." I stutter, fingers shaking more than I will admit. The still flickering light helps nothing at all so I begin to run, having no particular destination in mind, but praying to have one.

He tracks my every movement, eyes dilating into two golden holes with every step that I'm taking to put distance between us. He's never been a guy to hunt his prey immediately without showing the hell to them and making them regret, for crosspathing in his life, so I'm lasting this much by timely dodging of his explosive lunge to nothing but luck and my agility. A less disciplined person would be dead without providing the fun he wanted.

I dart backward, eyes gluing to him, but a loud clanging noise makes me nearly jump straight out of my skin. I don't know what I've just knocked it off. With trembling hands waving in the air, I look back and find he's not standing in front of me. Then where? Holding my breath, I still step back as I look around but stop dead in my tracks, frozen when I feel something pointed touch the base of my neck. What is it?

Spinning around frantically to see him standing with his pointed fangs out, I scream and pick up the speed toward the exit. Nothing can save me if he gets me this time. I run to the door as fast as I can, desperate to get out and get help from neighbors. One second, I'm running; the next, I'm face to face with him. I've been strong enough to admit I scream, hoping at least someone will hear me.

That is, then I stumble and knock the book of Tao Te Ching from the table. The pages flip open, revealing its sacred text and halting him in place. Realizing what's just happened, I grab the book immediately and bolt toward the garage, so I can attempt to barricade myself inside and clear my mind until someone shows up or I find a way to escape.

He's literally growling at me the whole way, ordering me to throw the book away as my precious furniture and other things fly out.

Finally, I'm able to make it inside the house-connected garage but can't shut the wooden door in time before his foot breaches the closing gap, his hand clutching the sleeve of my shirt. "Fuck!" I shriek as I fight simultaneously to both free my hand and shove him out of the room. Unbeknownst, the book scratches his hand and makes his grip loosen on me.

Not waiting for a second, I shove him away, then use my own body to barricade the door against him from entering further. I can feel him still on the other side, so I clutch the book against my chest. I hear him hiss low in his throat and give a mighty shove, splintering the door and the frame in the process. The power of it sends me slipping forward on the smooth concrete floor, and if have I not dropped to the floor and braced the soles of my feet against the tires of my car, he will be inside.

Pushing back with all my strength, a furious growl split my ears, as a consequence. I flinch, a whimper escaping unbidden as I hear the other's threats. My heartbeat sounds a million miles away and, at the same time, overwhelmingly loud in my ears as my emotionally wrecked organ pumps on, dull and heavy against my ribcage. I can't even stop the fresh tears clogging my vision.

Though he continues his onslaught on the door for a few minutes, he can't get inside as I have a tight grip on the sacred book. After all, he's just another evil creature who should bow to holy things. I look at the book, that has saved my life, and flick the pages all night to find a way of chasing the vampire away from me and my loved ones.