Chapter 28

Zhan POV:

I wake with the morning sun on my cheeks, and just by that alone, I know I have slept in later than usual. And sure enough, I check the clock and see it is just past 8:30 a.m. My irregular sleeping pattern would wake me before 7:30 a.m. every morning, but considering the events that had transpired the night before, this lapse of consistency didn't phase me, but the bed did.

I sit up and put my hand on my head, remembering how I've been content sleeping in Yibo's arms near the lake. Don't mistake that I regret the moment. I'm just confused about how I have ended up on the bed. I know he has magic hands or whatever, apart from human traits, but.. Did it mean he could carry me to my room all the way up here through..? My eyes glance at the window and glue to it. No way. Even if it was what happened, I couldn't believe it.

The train of thought is cut short as I hear my aunt calling me from downstairs, probably for the past few minutes. Shit! I throw the blanket away and get up from the bed. "I'm up. I'll be there in twenty minutes." I shout enough for her to hear me before rushing to do my routine. By the time I leave the room with my bag, the clock shows almost 9:10 a.m., but I don't need to worry when my cousin has thankfully waited for me.

As I reach downstairs, my aunt appears with food and feeds me fast before waving goodbye. Contently, I get in the car with my cousin and slam the door, leaning against the headrest and sighing loudly. My eyes shift to his hand as it places on mine, then meet up with his light brown eyes, which are focusing on the road. There's something he wants to share with me.

"The basketball competition is going to be held this Saturday. Make sure to attend and cheer up for me. I'll definitely give you the impression of playing well." He says, eyes still not distracting but hand squeezing mine. 

A small bubble of laughter escapes from my lips when I recall the moment in the coffee shop with him the other day

A small bubble of laughter escapes from my lips when I recall the moment in the coffee shop with him the other day. It was the exact words I said when we caught up with some old memories. I remember well, so I nod and watch the scenery passing by. My beaming face dies down like a setting sun when I rephrase his words and find something that I should care about.

When we reach college, we have a little chat and then separate on our ways. The sun is rising high as I get inside and roam around the hallways instead of going directly to the classroom. When I realize the person I'm searching for is not around, I lower my head disappointedly and walk to my class. I'm late, and I know it, so teacher Zanjin Zhu expects a reason. I have none to reply to, so I keep my mouth shut. Even so, he gave me permission to attend the class.

Thanking, I reach for my seat and slip the bag off my shoulder before sitting down. My breath hitches when my eyes turn to meet with the dark brown eyes, which are filled with mischievous, also a hint of molten gold due to the sunlight peeking through the window. I open my mouth, but then the teacher walks around and stops at my side, explaining about media manipulation.

Not wanting to get attention, I shift in my seat and look away, taking notes. Eventually, my eyes shifted to Yibo, staring at him and subtly leaning closer and closer, wanting to say something. When he raises his glance, our eyes lock right away, and I signal him to look down at my paper to figure out what I'm pointing. I point each word carefully with my pen and watch him from the corner of my eye, making sure that he's following. Also, I want to see his expression more as if the cute little crease along the underside of his eyes when he's concentrated is a wonderment.