Chapter 35

Zhan POV:

I return home with a determination to wake Yibo from seclusion and let him know that a heart is beating for him. I will do everything in my power that the principal has said. It would be strange, but not more than the ground swallowing someone and forcing them into seclusion. As a mystery person with powerful magic, it might be possible or regular in Yibo's life, but not to me.

Once I wake him from seclusion, I will strictly prevent him from using magic if the consequences are terrible. I can't take it even if he can. It was really painful, seeing our loved ones disappear from our lives one by one, especially for someone like me who was left alone to survive in this world. Each moment was hell, no one could fill their spot, and our minds would stick, not being able to understand what was going on.

Patting my chest, I sigh and step into the living room to see my cousin watching a television. A weak smile appears on my face as I walk toward him. I should mend the bridge between us, even if it's hard or I'm wrong. We're like siblings, living under the same roof, so it will never be good to let hatred grow between us. It will destroy both of us.

When he realizes someone's presence, he shifts his eyes to meet mine. The soft brown orbs immediately fill with disgust and hatred. Cursing under his breath, he stomps his foot and gets up from the couch to leave for his room. As he walks past me, I encourage myself to grab his hand and try to talk with him. "P-Please, Cheng ge... Let me explain!"

He raises his eyebrow and then shakes his head with a bitter laugh. "You don't need to explain. Love whomever you want. I'm not your blood sibling to control you. And you're not my blood sibling to care about me. It's your life. Live as you wish." He pulls my hand off his and puts it down before walking off.

Tears pool around the edges as I realize, distantly, that I should react. I should say something to him, I should do something, but I'm so dizzy and numb with fear that I can hardly feel the way tears streaming down my cheeks, the way I'm trembling, breathing so fast that I'm almost choking. Gathering my remaining strength, I wipe my tears away and walk to my room.

I throw the bag on the table and drop my body on the bed, leaning against the headboard and shutting my eyes. It takes some time to beat back the wave of emotions that hits me. The worst part is, I know I've only brought it on myself. I'm always been like this. I try hard not to get anxious over something too much when I have an important matter to tend to.

My eyes slowly blink when the door cracks open and reveals my aunt, who's getting inside with baked sweet potatoes, one of my favorites. Having a small smile, she sits next to me and begins to feed me, but I refuse and look away. She frowns, staying still for a moment, before putting the bowl on the nightstand and smiling again. "Eat when you wish."

I nod and give her a small smile.

She cradles my cheek and brings my face closer to press a kiss on my forehead. Her affection is a balm to my aching heart, so when she's about to move away, I pull her and hide in her embrace. Tears raced down my cheeks and wetted her clothes that I wasn't aware of. She soothes my back and says sweet things, giving me comfort as much as she can.