Chapter 17

Zhan POV:

Once I reach home, I throw the bag on the table and sit on the chair with a heavy sigh. I hang my head with a deep groan, hands reaching up to rub futilely against the waves of exhaustion. My light brown eyes shut for a few moments until a clink of a cup gets my attention. Looking up, I see my aunt smile at me and ruffle my hair before leaving my room to let me do my work.

Rubbing my eyes, I grab the cup and take a sip of coffee while opening a book and going through it. I spend almost twenty minutes reading in peace until I realize a bunny charm in my bag is missing. How? I want it. It's my lucky charm. Where did I lose it? My mind works at a lightning pace while seemingly frozen in place, but nothing helps. I take a deep breath. I put my face in my hands. No matter what, I will find my bunny charm. It would probably fall somewhere on the way to college.

I look out the window to check whether it's getting dark. Thankfully, the sky is still bright so I can go out. Closing the book and keeping it aside, I leave the room. I step down the stairs and inform my aunt that I have to go out and will return in a few minutes. Giving me the request to reach home before it gets dark, she allows me.

I walk on the street all the way to college with the only intention of finding my bunny charm. Time is just passing, but my lucky charm still doesn't pass on my way. I frown and walk the remaining way with a tiny hope. Finally, I see the one I'm searching for near a big stone. Immediately, a smile curls on my lips. I run and take the bunny charm, bringing it to my lips and pressing a kiss on it.

Letting out a relieved sigh, I pocket my bunny charm and make my way back home but stop when the sounds are different. I turn to glance at the red forest where the sound has come from and close my eyes briefly, allowing myself not to panic. Something seems wrong. When I feel standing here is not safe, I open my eyes and ignore all the noises, taking long strides until my eyes land on the egg of a robin bird. After seeing it, I can't walk away as if I haven't seen it.

Looking around to check whether there's danger, I make slow steps toward the egg and take it in my hands. The egg is small, bright blue in color, and smooth. It's beautiful. I wish to keep the egg for myself, but I don't want to kill the life inside it for my selfishness. Suddenly I can feel a vibe in my hand. I think the little one inside the egg hears my thoughts.

Blooming a smile on my face, I stroke the egg and keep it against my chest. A strange feeling wells up inside me. Feeling content, I look up at the Chinese pistachio tree and find a nest on the top branch. Looking at this, I can understand that it's difficult to put what's in my hand there. What can I do now? I chew my lip nervously as I glance up at the nest once more and then down at my hand.

I should take a risk if I want to save the little one's life inside the egg. I shouldn't be selfish. Securely putting the egg in my jacket, I glance up at the tree again and take a deep breath. "You can do it, Zhan. Believe yourself!" I encourage myself and slowly begin to climb the tree. I don't have enough experience in this, so I do my best not to scuff the bark or break any branches on the way.