Chapter 29

Zhan POV:

Gusts of wind ruffle my hair and the grass by my feet as I walk down the street with my friends to go home. The late afternoon sun peeks through the white clouds, striking the surroundings with red and gold, and the air feels cool and easy to breathe. Unknowingly, my feet stick to the ground when my mind halts with something that I should be thinking of alone.

"What?" Ziyi asks, patting my shoulder and grabbing my attention. Her face still radiates the fire from the earlier incident, however, she tries to get back to normal.

"Nothing. I need some time alone. You go home." I try to convince her, holding the strap of my bag.

"Why?" She raises an eyebrow at me. "What's bothering you?"

"Nothing as I said," I reply and look over her shoulder at Ji Li, pleading with my eyes to help me.

Nodding, he engages in our conversation and brings some excuses to convince her. Her eyes are darting between us, looking a little suspicious. But anyhow, she seems to be convinced, and I assure her that I will be all right and at home in twenty minutes. Accepting with a single mind, they leave me after giving some advice. I stare at them until they are out of sight, and then my feet direct me to the playground, which is a fenced-in section of the high school, and its football field, beyond the back gates, leads through a small area of an elementary school.

Sighing, I drop my bag on the ground and sit on the swing with my mind full of nothing but confusion. When time seems to move on along with my body moving back and forth, my mind stops worrying about the present things and rewinds to some old golden memories. When I was a kid, my dad would take me to the nearby playground and be happy to see me running around like I owned it. He often played with me on the swing and hummed with my babbling whatever came out my mouth. It was pleasant.

A tiny tear escapes from my eye, trailing down my cheek. I lose balance when I'm too involved in precious memories. As I'm about to fall back worst, I suddenly feel a solid muscular frame appear behind me and support my weight. My heart pounds in my chest. Without turning around, I know who it might be, so I lean against them. "Yibo," I hum pleasantly.

"You should be careful!" He says, almost sounding like a command.

"I will not when you're there like a shadow of me," I mumble, tilting my head enough to meet his golden eyes, which are staring down at me. Lovingly, I blink my eyes and smile at him. "Wait! G-Golden eyes!" I suck in a breath and try to move away when he leans down and places his lips on mine. The kiss is nothing, but pure love, so we forget everything around us and indulge in each other.

When we pull away, he does let his lips curve the slightest bit up as I lower my head, face flushed a lovely rose in the warm glow of sunlight. "Be ready to go on a date this Saturday." He leans down to kiss me on the neck.

"But.." I trail off, clutching the swing when he's pushing it slightly.

"Don't care about anything. Just do as I say." He sounds like a command again.

Nodding, I let myself enjoy the moment while removing all the unnecessary thoughts from my mind. Time flies with him pushing me, and I'm swaying back and forth. Because of the pleasantness and comfortableness that this moment provides, I don't realize it. My heart is content. My mind is carefree. All the things seem nothing when I'm with him.

When I sway above again, I remember one thing that I'm dying to know the answer to in the morning. I slightly turn while swaying back and ask gently. "How could you carry me to my room all the way up last night?"

"Through the window." He says, like it's obvious, and stops me from swaying.

I shake my head and push the question again, trying to make him understand. "How?!"