Chapter 11

Cheng POV:

Sweating like a passing cloud in the sunlight, I take control of the ball while bouncing and tossing it in the air to make a goal. Based on the force and experience that I have used, the ball slides through the basket and falls. I catch the ball and repeat the same process, making another goal successfully. And then a proud smile curls on my lips. Rubbing my hands together, I attempt to throw the ball at the basket the third time, but unfortunately, the goal has been missed.

Frowning, I catch the ball and stare at it when a cold wind blows close to my face, sending an involuntary shiver across my body. Looking up, I notice a figure surrounded by a blue hue walking toward me. It is strange. Gluing to the place, I stare at the figure until I realize who it is. The new guy Wang Yibo! Seeing him, my mind goes into a bad mood. My eyebrows furrow to where they create a creasing in my nose. "What are you doing here?" 

"I'm the new star player of this team

"I'm the new star player of this team." He says, hands sliding into his pants pockets.

I narrow my eyes, head cocking slightly upward. I'm incredibly displeased. "Look, I'm here for practicing, not wasting my time with someone who doesn't even know who he is talking to. Go away!" I speak up, finally being done with a guy who clearly has a screw loose. My lips then twitch into a scowl that looks as if it can wither all the forests surrounding Shaanxi.

He laughs like the silence of a tree falling in an empty forest. No one here to note the sound, yet the impact still rings in the roots and the hollows of the earth. Suddenly, his laugh turns into a smirk that can haunt my nights. "Just keep in mind, it's not me who doesn't know who I'm speaking to." He looks up, the flickers of gold light dancing in his irises.

The clop of my heart is violent, rushing up to my ears, but I find myself tongue-tied, drowning in the tide of some unknown fear that appears from somewhere. I don't know what has happened to me instantly. In order not to make things too weird or tense, I quirk an eyebrow and maintain my posture.

We glare a hole through each other's heads until Coach Li Bowen interrupts and informs me what I should know. I freeze, mind drawing a complete blank. Everything around me seems halted. Shock trembling through me like an electric current, I drop the ball to the ground. I'm numb to the sound as it bounces and pauses at his feet. Just like the opportunity has reversed!

Still not considering a change in his smirk, he stomps his foot on the ground to make the ball bounce in the air and settle into his waiting hand. "Better luck next time!" He whispers right in my ear and turns to walk away while spinning the ball backward, which makes a perfect goal. His actions feel like a bucket of ice water over my head.

Clenching my fists at my sides, I squeeze my eyes shut as hard as I can. Screw them tight until little flashes of white begin sparking at the corners of my vision. I pray to every deity, every spirit, and every kind-hearted ancestor that when I open them again, everything should turn normal because it is unbearable. I can't accept that all my hard work and dedication go in vain.