Chapter 9

Zhan POV:

Joyful faces turn toward the sunlight when they rush out of the classroom after working out a long day. Just like them, Ji Li and I smile at each other, holding hands while running down the stairs with Ziyi chasing behind us with nothing but a playful intent. Enjoying the moment, we dart around the students, heading for the less trafficked paths around the parking lot when we look up and meet with my cousin's brown eyes, which look at me admiringly.

Surprised about his waiting, I squeeze Ji Li's hand and stop running, making Ziyi crash right into us. We all gaze at him questioningly because he shouldn't have to wait for me when he knows I will walk with my friends to reach home. Or wait! Would he wait for Ziyi when he understood her crush on him? There might be a chance! 

Smiling to myself, I pull Ziyi's hand off my shoulder and move to wish luck if he wants to take her on a date

Smiling to myself, I pull Ziyi's hand off my shoulder and move to wish luck if he wants to take her on a date. Because I can understand how long they are waiting for this moment. Wishing only a good thing for them, I open my mouth to say something, but before I do, he does something that makes all stun in place and looks at each other apologetically. Because neither of us is happy about it except Ziyi, who witnesses everything with a knowing look.

"A-Zhan, I'm waiting for you!" He steps forward from leaning against his car and walks over to me. His actions confuse me, so I glance at my friends and raise an eyebrow at them, begging if anyone knows what's going on. Misunderstanding my expression, he wraps his arm around my shoulders and holds me securely. "Let those friends of yours walk alone without you today because I want to spend some time with you."

Still confused, I look at my friends and express my regret for not joining them as I walk with my cousin to his car and get inside. I feel he wants to share something with me even though he doesn't say it openly, so I turn to give him a small smile and nod at him to drive off. It's been a long time since we have gone somewhere other than college. I missed this.

Taking slow breaths, I lean against his side and hope not to get emotional again. Because if I do, it will not only affect me, but it will also affect him. I don't want that. Adjusting my position, I shut my eyes and cling to his arm while letting my mind go through all the thoughts stored there. It's been peaceful until I jolt awake and look around confusedly before my eyes land on the coffee shop.

Feeling embarrassed, I rub the back of my neck and get out of the car before following him inside. The small building is full of chatter and laughter, the clinking of utensils, and the frantic pacing of servers as they tend to the customers. We let it all blur into the background as we make our way to the table in the corner.

Focusing all our energy on ignoring the sounds around us, we make light conversation until we get our coffees in our hands. The atmosphere changes when the actual conversation is about to start. We both can feel it.

Taking a sip of coffee, I gaze at him through the rim of my cup with expectant eyes, hoping he will say what bothers him because I'm genuinely clueless. Time goes by fast, but he doesn't seem to care. I realize he will never start until I encourage him. So I break the silence. "What is it, Cheng ge?"