Chapter 44

Ziyi POV:

After leaving the restaurant, I head to the market to get a potion that can ward against evils. I don't know what Zhan thinks of me, but I treat him just as my own brother, since the moment I let him be a part of my life. I want him to be alive and not be the next one among Wang Yibo's prey but that idiot doesn't understand anything, just swaying to the beat that the others demand.

Love is blinding all his senses, so he can't see what's actually happening. He trusts him with his whole heart, not knowing the hand he's holding will one day grab his neck and squeeze the life out of him, and then he will be among those victims. We can build trust, but not with an evil one. No one can guess what they will do in a span of seconds if we are a little careless. 

Taking a long breath, I wander the market and look for the only man who has promised to offer a powerful potion

Taking a long breath, I wander the market and look for the only man who has promised to offer a powerful potion. Usually, I would never believe in something, but I had to force myself into this time, even if the only catch was the cost of such a thing. I put my hand on my savings and brought it with me. And yet...

The man is nowhere to be found. I look high and low, but it is as if he never exists. I wait for an hour, then hand a little money to children in tattered clothes, women on the streets with too many children to care for, and old beggars who have been thrown out because of age or injury. I stop to talk to each one afterward, listening to them as they say some things to ward against evil.

Once the afternoon has progressed nearly past half its duration and the market begins to wind down, along with the people, I stop by the Qinglong temple at my last hope. I denote some money with a prayer to help me and my loved ones escape from evil and collect some things that will probably help me. Just as I turn to leave, my phone receives a text and grabs my attention.

I pull my phone out and look over the text with a small smile curls on my lips. The stupid vampire might destroy my laptop, but the video I'd saved on the cloud was still not damaged. His carelessness brought the way for his defeat and my success. I know what to do now. I type a quick reply and then request my friend to send the video to an important person who can help me with this and do anything for familial love. Zhan might not listen to me, but he will definitely listen to this person!

Yibo POV:

Fall is approaching. It's time for me to return to the vampire world to take over my father's place and rule the individuals, which I deserve. The power hunger burns in my blood and crawls the way out. I should settle everything in the human world in two days and convince my queen to accept me, my true self, before making him spill those three words. If I make it, I can take him with me. If I don't...

No! I will make it. Without him, without Zhan oozing out of my every pore and consuming my entire being, I would break apart at the seams. I will crumble into a million little pieces. I will lose the reason for my happiness and comfortableness. I love him. I love every part and expression of him. I will go to any depth to make him mine, even by force or power. I want him to be by my side when I'm being coronated as a king. The King of Vampire World!

I glance at the ethereal beauty, who's almost lying on top of me and watching a traditional drama. His eyes are glued to the television, not having any idea what is going on in my mind, so wanting to get his attention, I roll us onto the couch and lean onto his body, winding my arms around his back. "Put your eyes on me!" I demand, igniting every part of his body where I touch, sending delicious tingles up and down his spine, putting my figure and name only into his brain.

"Mhm," He murmurs.

"Good!" I say, clutching him even tighter, stretching my legs out on either side of his and pulling him flush to my body. The confusion on his face tells that somewhere in the back of his mind, his common sense whispers that this might be strange, but he's too lost in the smell of sandalwood and the comfort the touch brings him.

Thinking about my decision of how to reveal myself and convince him, I sink my head to press a soft kiss on the juncture of his neck, breathing in the sweet vanilla aroma he always seems to carry around. I sigh and raise my head, forcing myself to change the eye color from dark brown to gold without controlling him. I feel his body press to my own freeze before pulling me into a hug, mostly just to hide himself.

"V-Vampire! B-Blood-sucking creature..!" He mumbles, hands trembling. "S-Switch off the television!"

Watching his reaction, I turn to see the television where a new drama advertisement based on a horrendous vampire is going on. His muffled noise coming from my chest hit me like a truck, a waterfall, or anything with enough impact to make me hurt when thinking about the reason, so I flick my fingers and switch off the television before seeing his panicked face.

My eyes shift back to dark brown, gazing at him for too long until he peeks over at me and lets out a long sigh before smiling softly. His hand reaches out to smooth the minuscule wrinkle between my eyebrows and pulls me into a hug. "I'm scared of that creature! You know b-blood.." He mumbles and shakes his head, not wanting to bring it up. He hides in my chest again.

I don't know what to say, so I distract myself by pulling away and dropping feathery kisses down his neck and jaw, then to his clavicle and chest, just above his heart. "I want to hear this heart say my name every day!" I mumble and rest my head on his chest, closing my eyes and hearing his heart beating for me. The gentle rhythm buzzes electricity under my skin, floods my stomach with butterflies, and gives me an addictive feeling. A smile crawls onto my face before I can feel it.

An hour later, I wake up, and of course, he's still asleep, wrapping his arms around me, face relaxing, breathing deep and slow. Not wanting him to wake up in pain, I slowly remove myself from his grip and carry him to my room to deposit him onto the bed. He begins to stir and blinks his eyes, but I cover him with my body and let him hide back in the crook of my neck until he goes back to sleep.

When I feel his breath even, I press a kiss on the base of his neck before pulling away and laughing a little. Everything will be all right. I will make it. I promise myself, then walk down the stairs, thinking of a way of revealing myself when the birds chirping outside feel irrelevant. Feeling my suspicion but managing to suppress the annoyance, I open the front door and immediately being sprayed with holy water.

"Aah!" I scream when pain courses through my body and pulls my true self out. My eyes shift to gold, glistening brightly, as I grit my teeth, suppressing the pain and launching myself at Ziyi. Again, she uses the advantage of holy water and dances around me. Grumbling, I spell under my breath to bring the dark tendrils but the sacred words leaving her mouth, subduing my power and making me kneel in front of her.

My whole body turns pale, but I don't give up the intense rage that's boiling me. My eyes are piercing, intense as I want to rip Ziyi to shreds. Blood is oozing out of my ears, nose, and mouth as I can't stand with the sacred things. If I become a king and attain all my powers, no one can make me kneel, not even these holy things, because I will ruin those before its single drop dares to touch me.

"Aah!" I scream through clenched teeth as I pull out of my rapidly derailing train of thought and eye her dancing on the seem of courage and cowardice. Her head is still messy with the weight of fear as she balances on the razor edge of predictable safety. I feel chill at the other amount of holy water and fall on the floor, breathing labored, body trembling.

"Shit!" She curses, throwing the empty bottle away when all her holy water has been used.

With a weak smile curls on my lips, I struggle to stand up with trembling limbs. This small portion can weaken me but can't kill me. Not knowing where her head pokes into, she makes a terrible mistake, so I will punish her for trying to kill me and, most importantly, for trying to chase me away from Zhan's life. I hiss, throwing my weak hands in the air and spelling magic under my breath, but it becomes wasted when I cough blood and fall again. Using the opportunity, the scared rat escapes my house while holding the sacred book against her chest.