[013] a mother's mercy and father's cruelty

"You have always looked down on me."

"You forget yourself."

"My Lord! I'll go alert the guards."

With a loud gasp, Mera jerked awake as she pushed the heavy inkpot off her desk, shattering the glass as she got ink all over her hands. She saw the stars clear as day as she felt herself come back to reality.

"F-Father."

She got up from her seat at the balcony before hurrying to the door as she forgot her slippers and ran down the corridor. Mera's breath shivered as she heard screams and roars of her grandfather and grandmother.

The second she stepped into the great hall, Mera saw the charred body of a man, pulled from the coals of the great fire place. Smoke had been seen, simmering off the dead body as Rhaenys cried before her grandfather's voice caught her attention.

"Mera."

She looked to her grandfather as she felt her blood run cold. That was her father. Why? She clenched her fist as she narrowed her eyes before she attempted to walk closer only for Corlys to stop her.

"Don't Mera—"

"T-That's my f-father. M-My father...Father!" She felt hot tears run down her eyes as she closed her eyes. 

"Dad!" She roared as she felt her voice run hoarse. Her little voice echoed through the halls as she knelt down as she felt her knees crumble with her grandfather softly soothing her.

"That's my father!" She screamed repeatedly as she felt blood run down her throat. 

Corlys looked up to see Rhaenyra at the doorway as he glared at her with fury. She felt her breath hitch as she looked to Mera roaring in anger. 

Slowly her head turned, two dark sapphires looked back at her as she glared, "It's her fault." She breathed out as Corlys rubbed her back before she buried her face in his shoulder, crying as she wailed.

Mera pushed herself out of her grandfather's hold as she walked to the charred body. She kneeled down next to Rhaenys before her eyes shot back, her head tilting back as she gasped.

"Bastard!" 

A thunderous storm roared as lightning bolts shot down from the skies. There was a pair of the bluest eyes that looked back at her from the shadows as a girl clothed in black and red slouched back on the throne, her piercing blue eyes glaring at those kneeling before her.

Mera grunted as she fell back, the fireplace had become woozy and blurry as she felt her vision fail. She understood damn well that she had just lost the one person that every had her back. And now, Mera was alone. Alone in a pit of snakes and vipers.

She sighed as a bloody tear ran from the corner of her eye and across her nose bridge to the other side before she closed her eyes, allowing the darkness to consume her as she felt her face and hand sting in pain.

Mera opened her eyes as she sighed, the sunlight bled through the cracks in the curtains. She could feel that she was on a ship through the gentle rocking before she turned around. In her hand, she clutched the small charm as she closed her eyes. 

The outburst she had in the great hall could never happen again.

The tears she shed, can never be shown to the world again.

She felt her throat horace and dry as opened her eyes before sitting up. Her hand had been rebandaged as her face had been not, the maesters must have now allowed the wound to air out instead of being stuffed with cotton and silk.