[032] Archmaester Vaegon Targaryen

When Syrax landed at Dragonstone, Rhaenyra bolted for the library as Daemon watched her run frantically into the castle.

He looked to Jace who had remained quiet the entire flight back. Daemon had also kept his mouth shut as he fiddled with his signet. His thigh had barely healed as the dragon keepers helped him down before he was handed off to the servants who helped him back into the castle.

Daemon grunted as he clenched his jaw before finally sitting down as he sighed and laid back. He had been given a cane as he looked out the window, wondering how Mera was doing. 

Did she eat? Where is she staying? Is she still alive?

He wiped his eyes of any tears that began to form as he bit the inside of his cheek. He started to regret all those times he ignored what was in front of him. 

A bit of Daemon had regretted not appreciating what he already had. No he never needed a Visenya, he needed the little Maegor the fourteen had given him. But it was too late, she's gone and she likely won't return.

He hated how he didn't accept the fact that Mera liked a book more than a sword. How she chose to live in the clouds of her mind, rather than the clouds of the world. How she didn't need a dragon to see far and wide beyond the horizon.

Mera was the daughter he had always wanted but as always, Daemon never got to appreciate anything before it left him. He hated how he never loved Laena enough like he should have. The scar on his shoulder reminded him of that everyday. 

Dueling the drunk sealord for her hand and losing blood for it, only for him to treat her for less than she deserved. 

Daemon hated the many things about him but he never hated himself more for the loss of his Laena and Mera. His strong, beautiful girls who braved the night when everyone left them to their own worlds.

He closed his eyes as he clenched his fists. The image of Mera, sitting alone in the library on Luke's birthday as the celebrations raged on.

He remembered so clearly as to how the rest of the castle celebrated while she sat alone in the library, sticking her head in book after book.

Daemon sighed, his daughter was now gone. He looked to the crib beside Rhaenyra and his bed. He shifted, thinking of Mera as she trained late at night, using the spear and beheading a dummy as she breathed heavily.

He had always stood in the dark corner as she trained. Her trick wasn't growing strength or muscle, it was 'playing with physics' as said by her. Mera had always starved herself for a leaner build. It was easier for her to flip and lung against the will of gravity but in the long run, she'd be a frail girl, prone to injury and accidents.

Daemon sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair before closing his eyes as a tear fell from his eyes. Wherever she was, he wished the best for her.

"You must know where she went Maester Gendarys."

Rhaenyra looked to her maester as he sat by the stacks of books. He swallowed, looking confused while deep down, he wanted to rejoice in victory.

"I don't think I know what my princess is speaking of—"

"Cut them bullshit maester."

He sighed as Rhaenyra looked pleadingly at him. "You were her mentor, her tutor, she must have told you something! So tell me maester! Or I will go myself to find her!"

Maester Gendarys looked to Mera's glasses before swallowing. "I will admit I've heard her speak of running away but princess, whatever plots she planned, Princess Meranyce would never be so dim-witted to speak them to me."