[035] The Prince

Young Mera stood in a dark blue dress with pearls as white lace trimmed the ends of her sleeves and the hem of her dress. She bit her lip as she looked at the problem that lay before her almost with difficulty.

She stood in front of the table of maps as the problem sat before her. Her little braids softly waved in the summer breeze as Laenor and Corlys stood behind her, a few paces away with Vaemond standing next to them.

He looked lowly at the young prodigy with distaste as he scoffed every few minutes. His jealousy could be seen as clear as day as he glared at the young girl.

Mera looked at the problem, biting her lip as she drew blood.

If a ship travels at thirty feet for every five seconds, how long would it travel in a week?

She rubbed her eyes as she squinted in the bright sunlight. Her cherub face glanced around the table, distracted now as she lost interest.

Laenor looked proudly to his father as Corlys looked back in a worrisome look. He was beginning to doubt the so called 'prodigy' as she had stood there for at least fifteen minutes. Still, he reminded himself that this was a five year old solving what he learned in his teens.

"How long is this going to take?" Vaemond asked in a whisper with a bitter taste.

Laenor glared to his uncle as he looked to his father, "She just woke up. Mera hasn't even had breakfast yet."

Vaemond sighed boredly as Corlys looked to his brother. "Laenor, I don't think she can do this."

"Dad, just...trust me. She has promise."

Mera sniffled as she looked at the problem. Corlys nodded, walking over as he bent down next to her.

"So, tough problem eh?"

Mera bit the inside of her cheek as he hummed. "I suppose so." She softly said as she cracked her neck before Corlys stood and shook his head, looking to his son who sighed. Vaemond looked pleased as he smirked before speaking loudly to make sure Mera heard.

"So, the prodigy isn't so smart is she?"

Laenor glared back to his uncle with a warning as he scoffed and spat in defense, "Least she's smarter than you. Dimwit."

He quickly walked over and grabbed Mera's hand as Corlys sighed. They quickly left with Mera giving her grandfather one last look before she walked out with her father.

Vaemond smirked. "She's not the future of your house. A girl, pft. It's a jest. Dumb little—"

"Careful." Corlys warned as he glared to him. "The girl is only five. It was stupid of us to overestimate her."

Vaemond scoffed, he didn't believe she had the promise of Lady of the Tides. She was just a girl, a scared little girl who couldn't even speak up for herself.

"Sure, though a Velaryon does not murmur an answer when spoken to."  

Laenor scoffed as they walked in the corridor, "What a bunch of jackasses. What did they think that you could just walk in and solve a problem made for grown men? You know what Mera? Don't worry about them, your better. Smarter and more cunning. They haven't had half the wit you have at your age."

Mera struggled to keep up as her little white slippers quickly sped walked with her father who strided across the sunlight filled corridor.

"Wasn't their fault, the problem was unsolvable."