[038] One Last Dance

Mera opened her eyes as she sat in the midst of Vaegon's lecture. She sighed, rubbing her eyes as she tried her best to stay awake. This was going to be a long day. 

She wiped the drool from her mouth before sniffling as she yawned. Vaegon stopped. He looked to her before she motioned for him to continue as he cleared his throat.

Mera turned and grabbed from her bag a vial of spring water. She took the dropper and flicked some drops into her eyes as she blinked before grabbing her glasses and placing them on. That was much better. She nibbled at the inside of her cheek as she pursed her lips.

She looked down at her notes before sighing as she couldn't sit there any longer. When class had finished, Mera had been the first to leave as she darted out the door. She went to her tree, climbing it with ease as she took out her charted stars. She studied them, trying to draw conclusions from them as she tore at the inside of her mouth.

"Your hair's different."

Ophelia shot up as she looked down at Daeron. She smiled, "You're back." Ophelia was glad Daeron was back but she would have appreciated her time alone a little longer. 

He smiled before she turned, hopping down with a thump before he closed the distance and engulfed her into a hug. Ophelia widened her eyes as Daeron sighed, breathing in her scent of old books and...mint.

He often recognized that smell on Vaegon when he smoked a dart but smelling it on Ophelia, that was something knew. Anyways, he brushed it behind him, excited to be back. Daeron looked to her as she smiled before turned and took out a box.

"Here."

Ophelia looked to him as he nodded before she opened the box and widened her eyes. "Oh, Daeron you shouldn't have."

"Please," he grinned as he took it out, "I had the royal jeweler make it. It's silver with a teardrop diamond. I think a diamond is better suited for you than anything."

She smiled. Her father liked her in pearls. Never once did she ever really think about diamonds. They were too...girly. It wasn't like it was something that was bad, it just wasn't Mera. 

"Not pearls?" She asked as the glimmer in her eyes shimmered.

Daeron shook his head. "No, pearls are too sweet. And after a long while under water, they begin to crack." He turned her around, placing it over her as Ophelia smiled and looked down at it. 

She turned around as Daeron smiled. "You look beautiful Ophelia."

Ophelia smiled as he looked to her new hair do. "You've changed your hair." Daeron said as he observed her before placing a free lock of hair behind her ear. 

She nodded, "It is good of you to notice Daeron." He grabbed her hand and frowned, "You've been picking again?"

Ophelia groaned as she laid her head back and turned, taking her hand out of his as if she was afraid of his touch. "It's nothing Daeron." She grabbed her things as he turned serious. "Ophelia, it isn't good to have pent up emotions, I think—"

"Daeron," she turned, hiding the annoyance in her voice, "It's fine. I'm completely fine." Daeron nodded, unconvinced but he wasn't up for arguing this early in the day.

He walked over as he smiled, "The ball with be at eight tonight."

Shit. Ophelia tried not to act surprised as she blinked. It had completely slipped her mind and...Gwayne was back. Perhaps it Mera could find a crossbow, she'd shoot herself and be done with it. 

The farther she tried to get away from her "family", the more they followed her. She tried not to cringe as she nodded. "Right. The ball. Do I have to go?"