Chapter 60

Cold air, quiet atmosphere, and the beeping monitor beside me that have been a sound that is almost engrave in my mind. My eyes are glued to the patient who is currently laying down on our operating room unconscious, getting a tumor removal surgery. I'm literally starting the day with me opening a person's skull.

This patient's craniotomy is something that I'm used to by now. Incision in the scalp and removing a piece of bone from the skull for me to have an easy access to the tumor.

Julian coughed, making all of us look at him while he's monitoring our work. "Looks like someone woke up in the right side of the bed," he gave me a side eye, which made everyone giggles.

"Doctor Sylvester," Mary, my assistant called. "Did something good happen? you've been smiling since earlier," she sounds worried instead of curious.

"Is smiling prohibited, Mary?" I asked, not taking my eyes off the patient's scalp, and as soon as it opened, the skull has finally greeted us, we put clips on the part of the scalp to keep the drapes in place as well as to avoid unnecessary blood loss.

"No, Doc, however," she coughed like Julian. "You've been standing in the OR for six hours now, usually you're going to start scolding us or not even speak at all if not necessary. . . but now—you're all happy and glistening"

I shake my head and let out a laugh, "Something did good happen," I smirked under my surgical mask.

My hands went to the temporalis muscle of the patient, "We have to gently strip this so that it will give us access to the frontal and temporal bones," I said which made all of them nod and make quick on their feet.

"So, what happened," one of the interns asked, while standing behind us, watching the surgery.

"Well, first of all," I stopped and looked at Julian, then to the patient, "We will proceed to the traditional craniotomy" which is something we do to have exposure to the portion of the patient's skull that is necessary to remove in order to gain access to the brain.

"I got engaged last night," I said, casually.

All of them stopped moving which infuriated me, "Hey! we're in the middle of the surgery assholes!" I screamed which startled them and get back to their usual stations.

I angrily shook my head this time because of how unprofessional they reacted to the news.

"Congratulations, Doc. . ." Julian said, for a moment there, he sounded hesitant. "It's hard to believe that you finally moved on from Ms. Cyrena Santiago," with his statement, the others nod in agreement, making me confused.

"I know right," Mary nudged him while still looking at the patient's skull, "Doc is madly in love with her—I mean, she's the only woman he'd ever talk about, and he has this dumb look on his face while talking about her," my eyebrows creased when Mary said that casually.

"What do you mean, dumb look?" I asked, getting irritated by their behavior while opening our patient's skull with ease.

"Duh," my eyes went to Maricel, our anesthesiologist who is currently monitoring and controlling the patient's vital life function. "All of the surgeons here in this hospital knows how much you love Ms. Cyrena—I mean, I don't know how you make it so obvious, but I guess that huge ass portrait of her in your office gives a small hint" she sarcastically said which made Julian and the others giggle in sync.