Chapter 33 - Points

AMY

It was race day in Baku. Rachel and I had set up our living room to watch intently from the comfort of my London home. We had figured we would stay here for a little while longer and go back to Sydney after I walked the Victoria Secret runway in Los Angeles. Before then, we had Silverstone to look forward to, as well as Austria as Max desperately wanted us there to support him at the Red Bull Ring. From there, we would go to LA whilst the boys would travel to France for the next leg of races.

Rachel had also wanted to stay in England to spend more time with her new love interest, whom she still hadn't told me about, even though she said she would inform me of who he was after our photoshoot at the beginning of the week. I didn't want to keep pushing, as the topic of conversation made her uncomfortable, which is something I didn't want my friend to endure. I didn't want to put pressure on her but it made me increasingly nervous to find out. She never kept secrets from me.

"Come on Max!" Rachel screamed at the TV as Mr Verstappen was now currently leading the Azerbaijan Grand Prix. I beamed over at the footage, so proud of my friend.

I ate some snacks which I had laid out on the table as I sat cross legged on the floor, my eyes never leaving the TV once. I kept my eyes on the position board next to the live race, my vision set on Daniel's position in the race. He had started in 12th place with Lando just ahead in 11th. Not the best starting place, but definitely not the worst. My chest felt heavy with anxiety at the speeds they were picking up, ever so worried in case one of them crashed or got injured. It wasn't worth thinking about.

As Max crossed the line in pole position, we cheered for the dutchman we had grown to love. It was a 1-2 for Red Bull as Perez came in 2nd, closely followed by Georgy boy in 3rd.

"I'm so proud of them." I looked over at Rachel as she cheered from her seat, ecstatic with the result.

I looked at the TV again and jumped to my feet. Daniel had beat Lando and came in 8th place. In the points. I jumped up on the spot, my arms flailing around in the air.

"He got in the points!" I screamed as if Daniel had come out on top. I knew how much of a relief this must feel to him. I knew he wouldn't be very happy with the result, but he scored well earning points for the team.

"God, Ame. You act like he just won!" Rachel laughed as I sat back down, grabbing my phone off the side to send Daniel a text.

ME

IN THE POINTS!!! You beauty🥰

I giggled at Rachel's words before sending the text message, overly excited for him as I knew this may give him the ounce of joy he needs to carry on the fight.

Rachel didn't question my reaction over Daniel, nor did she ask any questions since they left. I never got to give Daniel the 'proper' goodbye he had wanted before they left London, but that didn't mean we hadn't text each other several times a day to keep in touch. It felt comforting to know that we were back on track, even if it may just be as friends. The week he had spent here had been nothing but bliss. Our connection was great and the sex was fantastic. But I didn't know if this would continue when we were to meet again. I was hopeful but I hadn't got my money on it.

"First to congratulate Danny Ric, I see?" My thoughts must have jinxed myself as it was now time for Rachel's line of enquiry.

"Yes. He's been struggling recently, he'll be chuffed that he's in the points. Not to mention beating Lando." I explained and took some crisps in my hands before placing them in my mouth.