Chapter 59 - Making A Point

MATURE CONTENT WARNING

DANIEL

Silence lingered across the table where Amy had stormed off, slamming the kitchen doors as she made her way back inside the safety of the house.

Rachel rose to her feet before turning around in Max's direction, pointing her long finger in his face as her stiletto acrylic nail shot daggers at the Dutchman.

"You make me sick," she started to scold as her eyes furrowed into her brow, "need I remind you that Kelly was sleeping with you before she broke it off with Dan. I bet you didn't give her the same treatment as you're giving Amy."

Max banged his fist against the tabletop as the cutlery and glasses which lay upon it ruptured and clanged.

"What did you just say about Kelly?" Max shouted louder, taking a stand himself and leaning over the table.

"Touched a nerve, have I?" Rachel smirked as she walked around her chair and tucked it underneath. "Oh I forgot, you wouldn't say anything about that because that was for your benefit."

Losing the ability to speak, Max remained silent as his face fell to the floor. Rachel whisked herself away as her heels clicked against the concrete pavings as she made her way back inside the house, surely locating Amy to comfort her.

Taking my seat, I sat back down and threw the napkin into the middle of the table; the material covering the wine which had been spilt as it started to soak up the substance. I placed my head into my hands and leaned into my elbows.

"Shouldn't you go inside, man?" Pierre asked as he flicked some of the broken shards of glass into the middle of the table, collecting them in a pile so they didn't fall in anyone's way.

"And say what? I've pissed her off again, she needs to cool off." I said and removed my hands from my face, sniffing in the process as I tried to gain any steady thoughts on what I should do next in this situation.

"You really think Rachel's going to help Amy cool off?" Michael asked as he placed his fork down onto the table, taking a bite of the food that Amy had spent hours cooking, only for it to now be going to waste as nobody quite felt like having a civilised dinner.

"How am I mean to fix this?" I shrugged and leaned back in my chair, looking up to the hazy sky as night started to fall across the landscape. "I told you guys because I trusted you. I know she tells Rach everything."

"But Rach keeps her mouth shut." Blake said as he looked over in Lando's direction causing my teammate's face to burn a deep crimson.

"Mate, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything to anybody." Lando said as he cleared his throat and looked down into his hands, briefly biting at the already warn nails of his fingers.

"Damn right you shouldn't have said a word." I squinted my eyes over at him as he shook in head in agreement.

"Seriously, you weren't going to tell me yourself?" Max said as he was still stood on his feet, towering over the table as I looked up towards him.

"No Max, I wasn't. This is exactly why I wasn't going to tell you." I informed him as he lowered his body back down onto the seat, staring at me intently. "You made a massive deal out of the fact that Amy was seeing another bloke. I knew what you'd be like if you found out that she did anything with him."

"Cheers man, I'm glad you value me as a good friend." Max muttered as he folded his arms across his chest and looked down in disappointment. Leaning across the table, I stared him down.

"You know you're one of my best mates, but your opinions of others can be fucked sometimes." I warned him, trying to be nice as his face filled with sadness. He chewed on his bottom lip and shook his head from side to side.