Chapter 41: Recovery

Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233

Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673

Suicide Hotline: 800-273-8255

Or text 678-678, data rates may apply. (Be careful if someone could have access to your monthly bill and you want to keep this private.)

"God I am so tired of lying in this bed, I want to go home." Lucy lightly whines.

Alex chuckles beside her while helping her put on her last shoe and tying it tight. "You've only been here for three weeks, and we take you out almost every day."

The night Lucy was shot, Alex had eventually gone home in the morning, having Kara tell the girls that she would be working late. Maggie was upset that she didn't get to see her Mama that night before bed but was able to facetime with a story. A storytime that Lena got to enjoy too.

After the girls were put to bed Alex updated the two Kryptonians on the Major's condition.

After staying all night with Lucy, she was finally forced to go home when Lucy was moved from the ICU to the step-down unit where she was staying for the next couple of weeks. Once Alex got home, the girls looked better and Lena's lung treatments looked like they were working. The girls were no longer throwing up so it was looking up.

Both the girls played that day and slowly lifted out of their little headspaces. The three adults thought this was a good time to tell them about what had gone down with Lucy.

Both shorter girls had gotten frantic but were reassured that Lucy was fine and recovering well. Lena offered her nanotech to help Lucy recover but Lucy did not meet the requirements, having just gone through a minor surgery to extract the foreign body.

The girls visited her that afternoon and Lucy was overwhelmed to say the least. It's odd having people you love surround you like this. It's a refreshing feeling and Lucy only hopes that this lasts a little while longer.

"Yea well if I have to smell this steril ass hospital for one more day I'm gonna shoot myself, but make it stick this time." She thought the joke would land but nobody was laughing.

"Oh come on guys, I'm allowed to joke about it." They all look at her with critical eyes.

"Fine, I'll just make jokes in my head." Lucy crosses her hand over her chest while waiting for Lena to get her a wheelchair.

They get to the car and Lucy settles in one of the seats in the middle row. "When will I be out of the wheelchair?"

Alex looks at her in the rearview mirror. "Were you not paying attention to the doctor?"

Lucy swings her legs back and forth while looking out the window. Probably should have paid attention to the doctor. "No, not really."

Sam huffs, "She said in a week or two maybe. You qualify for Lena's Nanotech now so maybe you'll be up in a couple of days."

"Cool."

They drive past her old apartment. Her heart racing as she remembers stumbling out of that apartment. Hand clutched to her side, vision blurry stumbling to the streets.

She tries to shake herself out of the memory, a warm hand settles on her thigh, squeezing firmly.

Lena gives her a light smile, and Lucy nods her head and looks back out of the window, feeling a bit better and away from her thoughts.