Seven

I look around as Anna gets out of the car, and I'm relieved to see there doesn't seem to be anyone much around. There is one person waiting, a stylish woman in a suit, holding a tablet and a phone, who is obviously there to show Anna where to go.

There's no press, anyway. That's the important thing. And no official door opener to look inside the car. And the woman in the suit seems to feel that they're running late, and is hurrying Anna away even as she gets out, and doesn't seem at all interested in bending down to check whether anyone else is in the car.

Which is all very good for me.

Anna disappears, anyway, and suddenly everything is quiet. We're at some kind of back-door delivery entrance to some kind of building, and now that Anna and the organizer have gone, there is no-one else here. No-one at all.

I decide I'm as safe as I'm going to be, so I put Anna's dress on. I pull it on quickly, and zip it up, struggling a bit to reach and pull the zipper at the same time, while still sitting down, but able to manage better now that I have the whole width of the car to wriggle around in. I put on her dress, and I check the label while I do. I mean, of course I do. And the dress is a brand I've heard of, but never worn... although I'm suddenly thinking that I shouldn't say which brand, actually, since that might somehow reveal who Anna is. Like, if she's had a brand-ambassador sponsorship deal with them at some point, which she may have. I have no idea.

It's expensive, anyway, is what I mean. Very expensive. Not something I would ordinarily wear. And I feel quite smug that I'm wearing it and sitting in a limo.

I do wish it didn't have the stain all down the front, though. Since I'm getting to sit around in a fancy limo, in what I assume is a very expensive dress, it would be nice to be able to feel completely glamorous while I do.

But I can't, and I don't, and I brood about that for a minute. I brood, and then I decide to stop. I decide I'm being kind of ungrateful to the universe. I'm here, after all, in this dress, in this car, with someone famous, or I will be soon, and the stain can't be helped, not really.

Especially since, really, the stain is why I'm here.

I sit there for a while. I look around, outside the car. I can see a lot of concrete, and a roller door and a loading ramp, and that's not very glamorous either, actually. I'm still not sure where we are, but I suppose most delivery entrances look the same, really.

I sit there, and think. Despite the roller door and the stained dress, I actually feel quite happy. I like where I am, and I really like who brought me here.

I think about that. I feel quite pleased.

And then I start thinking about my hair.

My hair, instead of the stain, I suppose.

I sit there and think about my hair, which sounds a little self-absorbed or maybe shallow, except that what I'm actually thinking about is that Anna's hair got messed up by her getting changed, and so mine probably has too. And while I'm thinking that, I also notice Anna left her make-up bag behind when she got out of the car, and it's still right here on the seat next to me. So I sit there for a moment, wondering whether she'd mind if I borrowed her mirror to check my hair. She actually probably would mind, I think. And even if she didn't mind, it still seems sort of rude, to poke around in someone's bag without asking. Even a make-up bag. Even when I'm doing her this huge favour.

I can see the mirror, though. It's sticking half-out of the bag. So I wouldn't really need to poke, just to borrow it quickly.

I think, then decide that even though I probably shouldn't, I really want to check my hair. I quite desperately want to check how messy my hair is right now, since Anna is coming back soon. I reach over quickly, and get the mirror, and tidy up my hair, as best I can. I try, anyway. It doesn't really work. My poking doesn't seem to help very much, not like Anna's little prods did to hers. My hair doesn't go back where it ought to be as tidily as hers did, which seems a little unfair.

Maybe she has special celebrity hair product that lets it bounce back into place.

Maybe.

I don't know.

I do my best, anyway, and then I slide the mirror back into the bag, carefully, so that everything is exactly as it was.

And no, I don't pry otherwise.