Thirty-Four

"No," Anna says. "It wasn't you. I mean, I'm sorry, too. I didn't mean to..." She stops. She sighs, seeming almost guilty. "You took me by surprise," she says. "That's all."

"I really didn't know," I say. "I had no idea."

"Of course not," she says. "How would you?"

"Are you okay?" I say.

She nods.

"Are you sure?" I say. "You look, um... paranoid."

She's still carefully sitting away from me.

She nods, but doesn't move any closer, though.

"You don't look okay," I say.

"Maybe just don't touch me there," she says. "Like, ever. Sorry, it's just..."

"Nope," I say. "I get it. I won't."

"Or my feet," she says, after a moment.

I nod. "I'll remember," I say. "I promise."

"Thank you."

We look at each other.

"What about you?" she says. "Is there any...?"

I shake my head. "Not unless you really try."

She thinks about that. "And if I really try?"

"Um, don't?" I say. "But still, not anywhere incredibly sensitive. Not that will make me..."

"Jump up in the air like I just did?"

"Um," I say. "Yeah."

We look at each other. We're not kissing any more, and that seems like a bad thing, at least to me. We're just sitting, and thinking, and it feels like that desperate achy sexy mood we just had between us is suddenly gone, and I don't want it to be gone.

I feel awful for tickling her.

I look at Anna, thinking. I want the sexy mood back. I also don't want to make Anna anxious by seeming like I might accidentally touch her again, because I have a weird feeling she'll be even more ticklish for a little while, until she's sure I won't.

I look at her, and decide I need to fix this, and that I have a very good idea how.

"Um," I say. "Get off me."

She's still got one of her legs across mine.

"No," she says, looking horrified. "Wait. We don't need to stop..."

"We're not stopping," I say, surprised. "Just, um, get off me for a sec."

Anna looks at me, but doesn't move.

"Just get off," I say. "It's like, my turn to do you."

"Oh," she says. "You don't need to..."

I can't be bothered arguing and explaining how I feel like I caused a problem and now I want to fix it. I can't really be bothered talking any more at all, not with her sitting there looking at me in her underwear and nothing else.

I sit up, and kiss her slowly for a moment. I kiss her until she kisses back, and relaxes against me.

I kiss her for a long, long moment, and then I slide down onto the floor.