45

Anna grins at me, and I grin back, and suddenly the awkwardness is gone. Suddenly it feels comfortable and friendly again between us, friendly and nice. It feels affectionate in a slightly distant way. Distant, because we're really still mostly strangers, but it's affectionate kind of distantness all the same. Like we're doing this fun, sexy thing together, and we're both into that, and we're also getting to know one another as we do, and it doesn't have to be any more complicated than that. Which, I suppose, is exactly what it is.

Anna grins, and seems happier. She leans forward, and kisses me again, and then sits back on the couch. She's still slightly flushed, and a little breathless, too. She tugs at her undies, distractedly, pulling them back into place, and then she shifts her knees, kind of tipping one against the other and folding her leg to the side. So she isn't sitting there feeling quite so exposed, I assume. She looks at me, and her arms twitch slightly, like she was going to fold them over her bare chest, by habit, without quite thinking. Her arms move, but then she seems to change her mind, and leaves them at her sides after all. I notice, though, because I'm feeling a little bit the same about myself. I want to fold my arms too, but I don't, since she isn't.

We look at each other. Anna smiles at me, and I smile back. I'm still on the floor, looking up at her, still kneeling against her legs.

"So," she says, and then stops.

I nod.

"Um," she says, and then flushes a little more, and seems stuck. She looks at me, and hesitates, and seems uncertain what to do next. It's becoming awkward again, I think, and I almost start to worry, but then, deftly, before anything gets worse, Anna fixes the situation and I don't need to worry after all.

"Come here," she says, and that's enough. She grabs my hands, and starts pulling me upwards. Pulling weakly, with shaky hands, so not so much actually pulling, as asking me to sit up. It doesn't matter, though, I get what she's trying to do, and slide up to her on my own.

I lift up, and she kisses me for a moment, which is nice. I mean, it always seems a bit weird when people don't want to kiss with themselves on my mouth. When I've already got them in mine, if that makes sense. So it's nice that she does. She kisses me, and puts her arms around me, and just holds me for a moment. And then she says, "Thank you," too. Which is also nice.

"No problem," I say. I kiss her again. And then, just in case she doesn't realize, I add, "But we don't have to be done yet."

"Oh I know," she says smugly. "We aren't. We completely aren't."