Twenty-Eight

"Oh," Anna says. "Um, okay."

That's all. Just oh and okay.

She looks at me. She seems surprised. And I notice she's very carefully looking at my eyes. I mean, I assume carefully, although obviously I don't actually know.

I hope I would if I was her.

"Go on," I say, and wave her dress a little, trying to get her to take it.

She reaches for it, which unfortunately means she has to look down, which unfortunately means I suddenly feel a lot more self-conscious. And a lot less sure of myself than I did a second ago.

"Mine, please," I say. "Um, quickly?"

Anna nods and kind of holds out my dress, at the same time as she grabs for hers. She grabs hers, to hold it in front of herself I assume, as I reach for mine.

I reach for mine, but then I stop and don't take it.

I've suddenly decided this is all a bit silly.

We both know why we're here. Or at least, we both know why we want to be here, or what we want here to be, if it all works out. We know what we're thinking about doing, is what I mean. I'm not sure quite how to put it. We're going to kiss, and make out for a bit, and see if that's fun enough for us to fuck. So I guess, we're here, right now, to check if we work together. Or something like that anyway.

I'm even making thinking about this complicated by trying to be too exact.

We know what we're here for, is what I mean. And we both want to be here. And yet, stupidly, we're both as worried as each other, and it's actually stopping anything happening.

This is getting silly, I think.

We stand there, both mostly naked, both looking at each other. Anna is holding both our dresses now, and hiding behind hers, and I'm just standing because I just don't care any more.

There's a pause. A silence. It seems to go on quite a long time.

We look at each other, and just as I'm about to actually say out loud how silly this is all is, Anna suddenly throws my dress onto a chair, and drops her own on the floor.

And then she steps towards me, and kisses me.

She kisses me with her mouth open and her breath on my cheek, and I jump, surprised. And then I kiss her back.