Twenty-Four

I'm nervous. Just to say. I'm actually really quite nervous. And that's kind of silly when all we're doing is getting changed. Except that, obviously, we're not only doing that. Not really. Because normal people would have just gone into a bedroom one at a time, and taken the dresses off, and worn hotel bathrobes, which must be around here somewhere, while they swapped the dresses over. That's what normal people would have done. And even now, standing here in the room together, normal people would probably just take off the dresses and hand them backwards without looking and not turn around at all. And especially not turn around after counting down so solemnly, and making it all such a big deal.

That's what normal people would do. I mean, I know that. I know all that.

So really, us doing this, us doing what we're doing, that makes it pretty clear that this isn't just swapping dresses.

It makes it clear it's something more.

Which isn't to say that if anyone ever asks, I won't swear, absolutely swear, that I only just thought of doing this those other ways right then, after we were both half-naked and about to turn around.

I'll swear it. And an odd part of me actually almost wishes we had done it one of those ways instead. Because really, it would be a whole lot less nerve-wracking.

But now, right now, unfortunately it's far too late.

"...Three," I say. "Okay. Turn around."