Sixteen

"And then," I say, mostly just thinking out loud. "If it works out so there's time, maybe I can go to the party a bit later on, if I need to?"

"Maybe you'll go?" Anna says. She seems quite surprised.

"Oh," I say. "Well, only if you don't mind. And only if there's time, or whatever, and it isn't a nuisance..."

Anna looks at me, and I get a bit flustered. I mean, I know she probably expects me not to run off in the middle of it if we start something, and obviously I wouldn't in the actual middle of anything, just obviously. But she seems to be asking me to stay even before we actually know anything's going to happen, which seems a little odd, and she's being pretty direct about asking it, too.

"Why," I say. "Do you mind if I go off, or something?"

"Um, what?"

"Do you mind if I go?"

Anna just looks at me, confused. So I keep talking, which is probably a bad idea.

"Because if we're busy I won't," I say quickly. "Of course. But if you didn't mind if I disappeared for an hour or so, or if went in a hurry when we're finished, then yeah, I guess, I might go later on..."

I stop, right then. I suddenly realize we're not talking about the same thing.

"Oh," I say. "Um.... you meant you're surprised I'd ditch a friend to go off with you, didn't you?" I say.

Anna nods.

"Um," I say. "Well, yes, I suppose that sounds bad, saying it like that."

"Quite bad."

"Yeah, quite bad," I say. "Except it's not really..."

"We don't have to do this," Anna says suddenly. She sounds as if she's actually worried. "Not if there's something else you need to do..."

"No," I say. "It isn't like that."

"You shouldn't ditch her just for me," Anna says, and sounds quite firm.

"I'm not," I say. "It really isn't like that."

"Are you sure?"

"Um, yes," I say. "She'll understand. I'm sure she will. I mean, she's a good friend, like good enough she won't be hurt if I explain, which I will. So yes, I'd prefer to go see her, and I will if everything works out so I can, but at the same time, I can just text her and say I met someone, and that I'm really sorry, but I'll go and see her tomorrow instead. Because, well, goodbye parties are important, but meeting someone is kind of important, too."