Twelve

"I just won't, okay?" I say to Anna. "It's actually a big deal for me, too, even if I'm not all famous and everything. I don't want my business being spread around, and I don't want my family finding out like that either, so just believe me, I won't say anything. I won't, ever. You should worry about the driver instead."

"I do," Anna says.

"What?" I say, thinking of the kiss. "Seriously, you...?"

"She's fine," Anna says quickly. "I worry, but she's fine."

"Oh," I say. I look at the driver, who seems to be pretending she can't hear us, which actually, is probably best. I look back at Anna, and find she's staring at me all seriously, as if she's deciding whether to believe me.

"I mean it," I say.

"Good," she says back.

"I really do," I say. "Stop staring like that."

"I'm sorry," she says, after a moment. "Just, this is a big deal, deciding to trust you. You get that, right?"

I shrug.

"No," Anna said. "It really is. But also, I'm really sorry to be an asshole about it. I get worried, and then I get all intense, and I shouldn't do that."

I look at her for a moment, deciding whether to be offended. I'm not, I don't think, so I feel I ought to let it go. I mean, I like her. Even if this is all a bit weird. I like her, I actually like her a lot, so I'm not going to start lying or playing games or whatever that would be. And I do appreciate how it's a little different for her to everyone else, and that helps me be understanding too.

"Nah," I say. "You weren't being an asshole, not really. And I get why you're worried, anyway."

She nods.

"But you really don't need to worry about me," I say. "I won't tell anyone."

"You won't?"

"I won't."

"You promise?"

I look at her for a moment, then I nod. "Yeah," I say. "Of course."

"Thank you," she says, quietly, as though she finally believes me.

I shrug again. I almost tell her to stop thanking me, but this time it seems okay that she did.

We sit there, side by side, and don't say anything for a moment. My hand is on the seat beside me, just sitting there, and I suddenly feel something touch against it. Just a nudge, a slight brush against my fingertips. I look down, and see that Anna has slid her hand over, and pressed her fingers against mine.

I look up, and she smiles. I smile back.