44

I mean, I could just grin at her, and say nothing, and let her oh wow be all that's said. And then maybe let her say lots of thank-yous, too, since that's probably what she'll do. I could do that, I suppose. But to be honest, it seems a bit silly, and a little selfish too. Selfish, because I mostly did what I did for me, not her, so it should really be me thanking her.

It should be, and I would, except how I'd feel completely silly doing that. I mean, thanking someone for letting you lick them, that seems a bit weirdly obsessed to me. So I don't want to, and won't, not really, which leaves a kind of awkward silence. And right now, I don't want awkward silence. I don't want awkward anything. I want us to stop being awkward, so we can get on with what we were doing.

That seems like much more fun.

I think, then decide to be silly again. Because teasing and jokes seemed to help before, so why not try again. I decide to be silly, so after a moment, I say, "Oh, um, sorry. Were you saying something just then?"

Anna blinks, and looks surprised. "What?" she says, confused.

"I think I interrupted you," I say. "I'm sorry. What were you saying?"

Anna looks at me, confused.

"Weren't you trying to say something?" I say. "I thought you were, that was all."

"I don't think so..." Anna still seems puzzled. And slightly dazed. "I didn't say anything just now, did I?"

"Not now," I say. "Before."

"Oh," she says. She looks at me. "Before you did that?"

I nod slowly.

"Before you...?" she stops.

"Before," I say. "Yes. Weren't you trying to say something"

"Um," she says, and looks at me, thinking, and finally seems to realize I'm being silly. "You're teasing, aren't you?"

I grin. "Yep."

"You are?" she says, sounding relieved.

"Oh, I so am."

She smiles some more. Then she hits my arm gently. "Don't be mean," she says. "Don't confuse me."

"Sorry," I say, not really meaning it.