Ten

Anna notices my quietness, I think. She keeps looking at me, as if she's thinking, or wondering why I'm being so quiet. After a moment she says, "Well, anyway, I need to give you back your dress. We can go somewhere and swap over, if you like? I mean, unless you want me to get it cleaned first...?"

I shake my head. "It's fine like that. I need it now."

"Are you sure?" she says. "Because it probably wouldn't be much of a wait?"

I shake my head. "It's fine."

"No," she says, grinning. "I'm famous, you see. So I can get dry cleaning done fairly quickly, if I ask nicely...?"

"It's really fine like that," I say, smiling. "Honestly." And then, suddenly feeling brave, I add, "Since you don't seem to have spilled anything on it this time..."

Anna looks at me, and for a second I wonder whether perhaps I shouldn't tease her, after all. She might have some kind of superstar ego, or something, and hate me for saying that.

Luckily, she doesn't seem to. She just grins.

"Are you sure?" she says. "About the cleaning, I mean? I can..."

I nod. I'd rather just have the dress back now, rather than have to wait. And as well, and perhaps a little weirdly, I'm not entirely sure that I want the scent of her skin washed out of it, either. Or to miss out on feeling the warmth of her body on the cloth against mine.

I don't say that, though. I mean, just obviously. That would seem a bit odd. Instead, I just nod, and say, "Really, it's fine like that."

"I just meant," she says, looking at her dress on me, "That you could keep it for tonight. It looks good on you, actually, so if you wanted to..."

"Oh," I say, flattered. Really flattered. "Do you think so?"

She looks at me again, thoughtfully, carefully, and then nods. "Yeah, I do."

I'm kind of speechless, I'm so pleased. I just look at her.

"Do you want to borrow it?" Anna says. "You can if you like?"

I almost do. Then I change my mind and say, "Nah, let's just swap back. If that's okay with you?"

"Of course," she says. "That's fine too. Um here again? Or we can go to my hotel to change, if you like? That might be easier, if you aren't in a hurry."

"I'm not in a hurry," I say.

"So the hotel?"

I nod.