56

I sigh. "I know," I say, reluctantly. "I can tell."

"I wantto see you."

"Like this?" I say, surprised.

"Yeah like that."

"No, not like..."

"Exactlylike that. Right there."

I think about that. "No you don't," I say,embarrassed. Mostly because it just seems weird. I mean, I'm into thatparticular part of people, too, I'm really badly into it. But I want to touchand taste and feel it, not just look.

And I'm not trying to be awful to her,either, by the way, I just don't understand. Mostly, I'm self-conscious, andthe mix of self-conscious misunderstanding, that's making me veryuncomfortable.

Anna kisses my knee again. "I promise," she says. "I really wantto look. I really, really want to see you. Please?"

I'm embarrassed. I think Imight be blushing slightly. "No," I say. "That's... Just no, okay?"

"Please?" shesays. "Are you shy or something?"

"Um," I say. "Well.... yes."

"Of just beinglooked at?"

I lift my head up, and stare at her, surprised. "By you? Rightthere? Um, yeah I'm shy about that."

She kisses my knees. She strokes the topsof my legs. It tickles slightly, but feels very good too. I shiver. "Please?"she says, with an odd teasing note in her voice. "It'll help you get over yourshy."

"It will, will it?" I say.

"I'm pretty sure."

"Why do I need to?" I say,teasing back. Partly teasing, partly not, but coming around to what she wantsto do.

"I don't know," Anna says. "It's just good to over shy, isn't it?"

"Um,no. Not always."

Anna laughs. "It'll be good for you to."

"Yeah. And also, youwant to look."

She smiles. She seems flirtily, smugly happy. "Yep," she says."That too."

I look at her, and decide she's serious. She really seems to wantto look at me. She seems excited by the idea, and a little bit desperate, too.And I understand about being desperate to do strange things, things otherpeople don't always get. I really do understand. So I sigh, and unsqueeze myknees, and let her move my legs apart. I'm not really so terribly shy andself-conscious that her wanting to peer at me there isn't a little bitflattering and sweet, in an odd kind of way. It's flattering, and I like her,and those two things together are enough to make me give in and decide to lether look at me, if she really wants to.

Even if it feels a bit weird.