47

I glare at her. She isn't helping. "It's complicated," I say. "But not really. I did that because I like to. I just really, really like to. Which is weird, I know, and I'm weird for wanting to, I know that too. But I like doing it, and so I did, but that doesn't mean you have to."

"Oh," Anna says. She sounds a little confused. "Okay."

"Do you get what I mean," I say. "Am I making sense?"

"Um, actually..." Anna says. "No. Not really. What are you talking about?"

"I'm fine with it," I say again. "If you don't. Just if that matters right now."

Anna looks at me, and seems bewildered. "Um," she says after a moment. "Sorry. Fine with what?"

"Fine with me doing that for you, but you not doing it for me. If you don't want to, I mean. I'm fine with it if you don't want to."

"Oh," Anna says. "I see."

"You don't have to if you don't want to," I say, feeling silly, but wanting to be completely clear.

"I got that," Anna says. "But um... what?"

"You don't have to."

"I know... but what?" She actually seems surprised. "I understood what you meant, but well... why wouldn't I want to?"

"I don't know," I say, feeling even more silly, and like I suddenly want to blush. "Because maybe you don't, I suppose."

"But... why not?"

"I don't know. Because some people don't."

"Oh," Anna says, looking completely bemused.

Which is nice, I suppose. That it hasn't occurred to her that some people don't like giving head. It seems like a good thing in someone you're making out with, that she hasn't ever realized that some people might not want to.

Although actually, since this is Anna, maybe that's just her, and being famous. Maybe all her surprise really means is that no-one has ever not wanted to go down on her. Which I can see how that would be. But still, it seems good that she's doesn't understand why someone wouldn't want to, all the same. It makes it seem as if she might like doing it as much as I do, which makes me feel less self-conscious.

"Which people?" Anna says, after a moment, like she's been thinking about that.

"What?"

"Which people don't like doing that?"

"I don't know. People."

"But not you?"

"Well, um... no."

"And not me either. Just so you know."

I look at her, thinking, and then slowly say, "Oh."