Twenty

I look around.

The room is big. It's huge. That's the first thing I notice. And there are no beds visible anywhere, which is the second thing. I find that a bit odd for a moment, because I've never been in a hotel room before that doesn't actually have beds in it. Beds as well as couches and other things, I mean. This room doesn't have beds, though. It's a lounge, basically. We're standing in a lounge, with couches and chairs and a coffee table and a TV, and a lot of clothes draped on the chairs.

I look around at everything. At chairs and vases and pictures on the walls, all of which are probably very expensive. I mean, I assume all this stuff is very expensive and very tasteful and that if I knew enough to be impressed by it, I would be.

As it is, the only thing I can really appreciate is the carpet. The carpet is thick, I can see that by looking. And I suspect it would feel very soft, if I took off my shoes. And also, across the room, directly in front of me, there are big tall windows, with open curtains, and out of them there is a view over the city. I can appreciate that, too.

I look around, wondering what to say. The room is actually a suite, I realize after a moment, so there are several separate rooms here. Actually several separate rooms, I assume, since I can see several closed doors. That's why there are no beds, anyway. The bedroom must be behind one of the closed doors. I've never been in a hotel room without beds in it before, and I've never been in a hotel room that isn't an actual room, either. I mean, a hotel room that is actually several rooms joined together, if that makes sense.

It's wonderful anyway. I'm impressed again, like I was out in the hallway, by the view and the size and the soft thick carpet. I'm impressed, but I can't quite decide whether I want Anna to know that I am or not. I mean, I don't want to look silly by being impressed by things she thinks are ordinary, except that obviously she wants me to be impressed, at least a little bit, so I don't want to disappoint her either, by not being so.

I decide the easiest thing to do is just not say anything for now. Instead, I go over to the windows, and look out at the view. It's dark outside, but I can see a lot of the city's lights, mostly the other tall buildings near us, which are just out there, right in front of me, filling the night sky.

I'm not sure what to say, so I just stand there looking at it all. I look, and behind me I can half-see Anna's reflection in the windows, and that she's watching me.

"Do you want a drink or something?" Anna says, after a moment.

"Nope," I say, without turning around. "I want my dress back."