RELEASED| 17

As the pendant is taken off, my eyes widen in horror. There is no rational thought to Zain's action. We got lucky with Maddox.

Now, with both the Malfattos unbounded, we have more to fear than two dead witches.

"Are you crazy," I look at Zain with disgust.

His hand holds pieces of my heart-shaped pendant, stained from the mix of blood it contained. He crushed it in his hand.

In doing that, he crushes the control Marisa has. He crushes my freedom to act how I please. Everything I do now, I have to think, 'Is this too much? Will Marisa get in a blood lust if I do this?'

For someone who claims to care for his pack, he just did the most selfish act against them. Some leader he is. I would never do that.

Zain calls my name in a firm but soft tone. My eyes draw from his hand to his face. It's the first time our eyes meet without the pendant again.

My heart beats fast like a fool. My senses are consumed by him once more.

What is this madness?!

A few seconds ago I wanted to scream in his lousy face. Now, I feel like I need him close to me. My anger subsides.

That on its own is angering. I clench my fist to remind myself of the indignation I should be feeling, not love.

When I look at Zain's eyes, they are calm. No signs of conflict in them. He knew what he was doing. He was hoping to placate me.

"How could you," I struggle to say as my heart beats through my chest erratically, as it beats for him.

"I am tired of this disrespect, Helena. Can't you see the influence they have on you?!"

"No, but you seem to know the influence you have on me," I stare him down. My chest rises and falls as I keep eye contact with him.

This bond should not be allowed. It can't be natural.

I point to his hand, "Why else destroy it? You know what it does to me."

"I needed you to see past the Malfattos."

I interrupt him, "You mean to see what you want me to see."

He sighs, "Oh come on Helena. You are acting like you can't act on your own free will without the necklace. You still have a brain. Do you not?"

It's hard to yell at him. I can think for myself right now but he is all I want. It does not help that he is nude.

I look to the side and fist my hands, "can someone get him some dam clothes," I order.

He smirks. Dam him. It makes me more infuriated.

I want to slap his stupid face. I hear Marisa's cold hand meet his face before I see it. She knew what I felt.

"You stupid dog. Do you have any idea what you have done," she yells at him.

He gets a hold of her arm before her hand went in for a second slap.

"I allowed it once. There will not be a second," he flings her arm. She snarls in response.

Zain calls for someone. I see through the corner of my eye a pair of shorts being handed to him. I still avert my gaze. He will not get the best of me.

Zain calls for me. I bite my lip refusing the urge to get near him, to touch him. I get between Maddox and Marisa.

This is where I belong. This is my home.

Zain grunts.

"Dam, Helena. You made me do it. How could you ask him to bite you," he directs to me.