LAST RESORT| 53

It was my mother who cursed the vamps, who sought to use her children for the gain of her pack. She doomed my relationship with Zain from the beginning by uniting me with the Malfattos and not analyzing the risks.

Serving the Malfattos was her master plan to tie us to them, making all vamps barren. It was genius but her worst mistake.

Because the bonds she made for us did not break at the snapping of a necklace or the reciting of an incantation. They strengthened as we became tested by her people and the mate she was so sure I would choose.

She made poor decisions and to an extent, there is a sense of having to atone for her mistakes. The overbearing responsibility heats me higher.

My skin radiates with a glow. Zain's arms reddened. My heart, at first thumping with fury, slows. I'll die at this rate.

However, screams halted my assault. The recognition of the voice is so clear that ice forms across my skin.

My eyes frantically search for the source until it pinpoints her in the center of the room with her head in her delicate hands. Marisa screams like never before and I go mad with worry.

Adam surrounds her in his arms as he scans for the origin while Maddox's face finally displays his emotions. His gaze lands forward and I follow it, tilting my head.

I stop breathing. Jason holds onto Maddie's hand as his eyes lock on Marisa. The way his green eyes have a dazed appearance but are focused on Marisa makes it clear to me that he is the cause.

Maddox's eyes were saddened at the realization that it was his right hand that betrayed him. His brows were so high at the surprise. I swear my face probably mimics Maddox's.

Another scream pierces the air. The windows shake in fear as Marisa falls to her knees.

"Jason, what are you doing?" I ask.

The screams stop and his gaze becomes clearer. He narrows his attention to Maddox. Like Marisa and I, I suspect they can read each other like no one else can. They are having a silent conversation.

I cut in, "What the hell?"

"I picked." He simply answers while eyeing Maddie's hand.

"Then, stay and let us go."

"He won't let you go and I can't lose you," our twin eyes meet, mirror images of each other.

Maddie isn't the only one he chooses.

The way his eyes scan my body. The sudden relief his chest depicts as he takes a deep breath. He knew I was burning out.

Jason is my equivalent. He will not let go of the hand that fuels his magic but he won't let me extinguish the fuel that powers mine.

I become aware of the true danger Maddox and Marisa face. They only have me to get them out.

"I will stay. Let our friends go."

"Leave," Jason orders them as Marisa is helped to her feet by Adam and Maddox.

The hold on me lessens. Arms slide to my hips keeping me in place. Zain's loose hold makes it clear that he has won.

I meet Maddox's eyes, "go."

"Not without you, my love." There is no resignation in his eyes. For once, his eyes shine bright with heat. There is a determination to save me at the risk of damming himself.

Zain growls and I flinch. I can see the pack members step closer. My pulse rises again.

"Stop, what's going on," I look back at Zain.