j.o (p.2)

in which, jenna and you reconnect after breaking up

part 1 is the chapter before this

im ngl i kinda forgot about this book. i feel like im lowkey getting over jenna so idk if im gonna be writing for this book anymore 😭 idk i haven't really decided yet

you held your hot chocolate close to your chest, trying to absorb the warmth. you took a small sip, wincing at the heat before swallowing it and letting out a pleased sigh.

a book sat in front of you, but you hadn't touched it once since you sat down. you were wrapped up in your thoughts, watching the trees move outside.

it was dark, and you were one of the only people in the coffee shop. it was you, and an older couple who sat quietly in the corner.

a bell chimed, and you snapped out of your thoughts, looking to see who entered, only for your heart to plummet right down to your stomach

"hi, what can i do for you today?"

"hey, um...could i just get a blueberry muffin? thank you," jenna smiled, placing money on the counter. you watched her for a moment, but when you realized how creepy you must've seemed, you moved your gaze back outside.

it was harder to relax though, knowing your ex now stood ten feet away from you.

jenna thanked the cashier, taking her blueberry muffin, and turning around. you saw her reflection stop in the glass, and you knew she had noticed you.

you mentally cursed, hearing footsteps approach your table.

"y/n?" her voice was soft, so soft you almost didn't hear her. you turned your head to look up at her. you had to admit, she looked really pretty.

you didn't reply, still somewhat in shock. she tilted her head slightly, furrowing her eyebrows at the awkward silence. "can...i sit?"

you glanced to where she pointed. the empty seat across from you. with a clenched jaw, you nodded, taking a sip from your drink.

she set her muffin on the table, pulling out the wooden chair and sitting down.

"how're you?"

"good."

"that's good," she smiled, nodding slightly. "i've...been good too."

you nodded, clearing your throat. "um...how're you and...sorry, what was his name?"

you noticed her frown. "um...im not...we didn't work out." she shrugged.

"oh. im sorry to hear that," you nodded slowly, despite the fact that that was probably the best news you had heard all week.

"it's okay. how about you?"

you shook your head, frowning at the memory. it had only been a few weeks earlier when you had been cheated on, having walked into your girlfriend and her ex in your bed.

"i don't...really wanna talk about," you chuckled sadly, a lump forming in your throat. oh my god. you were not about to cry in front of her. pull yourself together.