chapter 50

VIVIAN SAT ON THE BOTTOM STAIRS, WATCHING LIAM PLAY WITH HIS TOYS WHILE THE OTHERS TOOK CARE OF HERSHEL

They had slowed the bleeding, but it hadn't stopped completely. She was starting to doubt whether the old man was going to make it. Rick had cut off his leg after all.

Carl walked past her, keys in his hand along with an empty bag and he headed towards the door that led into the dark maze of the prison, "Hey." Vivian stood and stepped around Liam to face him, "Where are you going?"

"I found the infirmary on the map. I'm going to go and get stuff for Hershel." He informed her,

"Alone?"

"I can do it." Carl argued,

"I'm not doubting you." Vivian crossed her arms over her chest, "Look, I know you're going to go either way, but we don't know what's in there. Hershel was with a group, and now look at him. There were dozens of walkers in there, Carl. So... do you really want to go in there?"

The younger Grimes thought about it for a moment before nodding.

"Okay, then I'm coming with you. As backup." Vivian smirked, "Bonnie and Clyde style."

After leaving Liam with Glenn, the duo headed out into the prison. They stayed quiet, peeking around the corners as they followed the map. Vivian made sure to mark their way, so they could get back unharmed.

She made sure to keep Carl away from any bodies, to keep him from suffering the same fate as Hershel.

Inside the infirmary were two walkers, strapped onto bed. The two of them took the corpses out before looking around, "Not much left." Carl commented,

"But anything could help. Let's just clear it." The duo swiped things off the counters, medications, gauze, bandaids, antiseptic, and such.

"Ready, Clyde?" Vivian asked, turning to the Grimes boy.

He nodded and they went over to the door. Carl opened the door and Vivian stuck her head out to make sure the coast was clear before stepping out.

The duo made it back to the cell block in one piece. They went over to the cell where everyone was gathered, holding their bags,

Hershel was on the bed, his leg elevated on pillows, and sheets were dripping with blood. And he was pale. So pale.

"Thought you were organizing the food." Glenn whispered to them,

Carl grinned, "Even better. Check it out." He dropped the bag to reveal all the medical supplies they had collected,

"Where did you get this?" Lori asked, looking up at her son,