chapter 109

VIVIAN KEPT HER GUN IN HER HAND AS THEY WALKED THE QUIET STRETCH OF ROAD

The sun was out with no cloud in sight, which was ironic considering how dark and stormy it was the night before. It was hot, and Vivian was grateful for the barn that Daryl found to keep the kids out of the heat.

"Eyes open, everybody. Weapons up." Abraham ordered as they continued walking,

"You see someone coming at us, you fire." Glenn stated,

Marcie and Michonne shared a look. What if they encounter Aaron's partner? And they're harmless?

"Copy that."

"So if we see someone, we just shoot them?" Michonne questioned,

"It's a good question." Maggie responded,

"What if they're someone like us?" Vivian asked, "What if Aaron is telling the truth? What if they're someone who has nothing to do with this?"

"We're seven people walking with gun. No one's coming up to say hello." Glenn stated,

"But that's exactly what happened." Michonne defended,

"If it's someone like us, we should be afraid of them." The Korean man told her, "He said he was watching us, right? It means he saw us yesterday. And after everything we've done, why would he want us to join his group?"

"People like us saved a priest. Saved a girl who rolled up up to the prison with the Governor. Saved a crazy lady with a sword. He saw that." Michonne replied,

"I don't know what he saw."

"Look, we need this." Vivian stated, "Liam, Judith, and Carl need this. I saw the photos. It could be good for us."

They had been out there for too long, and if they don't find somewhere for them to let their guard down soon, Vivian was afraid of what they could turn into.

After another few miles of walking, they came across the downed trees with the RV and sedan on the other side.

"He was telling the truth."

Vivian stared at the RV for a long moment. It reminded her of Dale. And if he was here, he would want them to take this chance. This chance to protect their humanity, to keep from loosing themselves in this world.

They heard rustling coming from the woods to their left and they all raised their guns, "Not one step closer, asshole!" Glenn called out.

The trees parted to reveal a couple of rotters. Abraham and Rosita put their guns down before swiftly taking the rotters out with their knives.