chapter 81

MORE PEOPLE WERE DYING.

Maggie had kept Vivian informed while Rick was away. She had spoken to Hershel, who was in A Block trying to help those who were sick.

Like Glenn and Sasha.

And there was not many available to help with the hordes by the fences. Vivian offered to join her, but Maggie knew she needed to stay there with the kids.

And she asked if Rick was back yet. Maggie said they were still out there, and Vivian didn't have the heart to say only one of them would be coming back to the prison.

Maggie had eventually left, leaving Vivian once again alone with her thoughts. And two young children.

She had just gotten the kids down for a nap when she heard a gunshot. It woke both the children up and they began to cry.

Vivian rushed over, trying to comfort them. In one arm she held Judith and in the other, she stroked Liam's hair, "It's okay." She whispered to the kids.

She silently prayed that it was an accidental shot that had gone off. That it wasn't an intentional bullet meant to end someone's life.

But deep down she knew what it meant.

Later that night, Vivian was sitting against the wall, flashlight in hand as she read a children's book to the two kids who were already asleep on the mattress.

Vivian wasn't ready to sit in silence, alone with her thoughts. So she kept reading.

"Viv..." She heard someone call from outside the door.

The brunette quickly set down the book and walked over, "Rick?"

"I need your help." He begged, 

She thought about it for a moment before opening the door, "But the kids..." Carl stood next to his father, holding out a baby monitor for her.

"There's no one left to ask." Rick stated.

Vivian glanced back at the sleeping children before setting the monitor down on the desk and clipping the matching set to her belt. She closed the office door behind her, "Glad I was your last resort."

Rick and Carl gave her a smile before they rushed down the hallway towards the door to the courtyard.

Vivian took a moment, taking a deep breath. It still stunk outside, but it was fresh air she hasn't breathed in days since being holed up in the office. Oh, how she missed those fences. She almost missed seeing the rotten faces on the other side of them.